Welcome to St Michael's
Brierley Hill's historic Parish Church of St Michael's stands on the highest point of the Town - at the peak of the hill from which the town derives its name.
The church is of red brick construction and was consecrated on 29th September 1765 during the reign of King George III and is the most ancient building in Brierley Hill.
The first minister at the church was the Rev'd Thomas Moss who was a grandson of a one-time Vicar of Walsall, and as well as being a priest, Moss was also an accomplished writer of poetry who produced a number of books of verse and whose poem "The Beggar's Petition" became internationally known after it was used by Charles Dickens in his classic novel "Nicholas Nickleby."
The present Rector Barry Gilbert was appointed in February of this year (2006) and is the eighteenth incumbent.
Two well known local personalities are among those at rest in the large churchyard are Anthony Clarke Booth who was awarded the Victoria Cross for his outstanding bravery in the South African War (The Zulu War) in 1879, and George Lovatt known as the "Brierley Hill Giant" and who died in 1933 weighing in at over 50 stones!
A Communion Service is held at the Church every Sunday morning at 10am and an Evensong on most Sunday evenings at 6.30pm. A further service and social meeting takes place every Thursday at 11am.
All Brierley Hill people and visitors will be made very welcome at any of these services.
St Michael's is a full member of Brierley Hill's "Churches Together" movement and actively collaborates with all the mainstream Churches of the town.