WELCOME - NEWS - INFORMATION
CLAYTON a BRIEF HISTORY
LOCAL WEB SITES
IMAGES of CLAYTON
19th CENTURY NEWS
A People's War By Robert Brown
Clayton Baptist Church Ter-Jubilee 1828 – 1978
The History of St John's Clayton
FROM THE ARCHIVE - JANUARY
FROM THE ARCHIVE - FEBRUARY
The METHODIST CHURCH
MARCH ARCHIVE - Clayton's Treasure Houses
From the Archive - April
Clayton Baptist Infant School
FROM THE ARCHIVE - MAY
From the archive June
From the archive July
Appaling Tragedy at Clayton in 1863
The Rialto Cinema
Clayton Adverts from the Past
THE GREAT NORTHERN TRAIL
Bygone Clayton 1829 - 1878
CLAYTON THEN AND NOW Margaret Dalgety
NOW AND THEN IN PICTURES
CLAYTON GOLF CLUB
Contact Information for Clayton History Group
How do you score our web site.
Methodism in Clayton
|THE NEW ORGAN 1st May 1926|
The first Wesleyan Chapel in Clayton was opened in 1834.
Sunday School work must have opened about the same time, as the first anniversary was held in 1833.
In 1838 the first Sunday School was built and according too an old minute, it was resolved "That there be a piannafortee for the ocation and that Mr Jackson bear it to its place and back"
The Methodists in those days, were evidently fond of music, for about this time we find that a tea party was held to raise funds for a double base, an instrument in much favour in those days.
The land on which the present Sunday school stands was purchased in1873. Two years later the Rev W.O.Simpson laid the foundation stone of the school which was opened in 1878 and enlarged in 1907.
A two manual organ was erected in the old chapel in 1864 by Messers Radcliffe and Sagar of Leeds.
The present chapel was built in 1888 and the organ was enlarged in 1896.
A new organ has been erected by members of the congregation and friends at a cost of £2.500, in memory of the late Edwin Ward who was organist and choirmaster from 1864 to 1883 and a chorister from 1883 until 1903.
Ministers and trustees 1926
Clayton Methodist Church in Pictures
|Weslyan Chapel 1832|
|Sunday School Anniversary c 1950
Pat Dodgson, Aileen Sugden, Janet Sowden, Mr W Gross, Jean Exley, Margaret Wood.
|A Gateway of Service 1926|
|Methodist Chapel 1906|
|Methodist Church 1910|
|Chapel Anniversary 1950|
|West Lodge Beamsley c 1949|
|Wesley Guild Addingham 1949|
|Choir Trip c 1950|
|Choir Trip c1948|
|Choir Trip c1949|