CLAYTON HISTORY GROUP
CLAYTON a BRIEF HISTORY
LOCAL WEB SITES
IMAGES of CLAYTON
A PEOPLES WAR By Robert Brown
Clayton Baptist Church Ter-Jubilee 1828 – 1978
The HISTORY of ST JOHNS
FROM THE ARCHIVE - JANUARY
FROM THE ARCHIVE -Beck Mills Fire
The METHODIST CHURCH
MARCH ARCHIVE - Clayton's Treasure Houses
Looking for 18th century Clayton Buildings
Clayton Baptist Infant School
FROM THE ARCHIVE - Cricket Match
FROM the ARCHIVES Clayton news 1858
FROM the ARCHIVES Clayton Board Meetings
Appaling Tragedy at Clayton in 1863
The Rialto Cinema
Clayton Adverts from the Past
THE GREAT NORTHERN TRAIL
NEWS from Bygone Clayton
CLAYTON THEN AND NOW Margaret Dalgety
NOW AND THEN IN PICTURES
CLAYTON GOLF CLUB
The ASA BRIGGS KEYS
THE CLAYTON FLYER
Contact Information for Clayton History Group
How do you score our web site.
|Glenholme was the home of the Wallis family. It was built in the 1880’s by Alfred Wallace who moved in in 1888. The entrance to the house was very impressive with several stained glass windows and two portraits painted on the wall.
Above the doors are stained glass windows depicting various industrialists, Arkwright, Stephenson, Watt, Naisby and several others not identifiable.
On the top floor the rooms are fairly large and light, and it is assumed that these rooms would have been used by the servants. The first floor bedrooms are more spectacular with the ornate woodwork and ceilings and on the ground floor the windows in the games room show scenes of popular games, dance and hunting.
Fireplaces throughout the house are a particularly interesting features.
|Upper Syke was built by Joseph Benn, one of three partners of J Benn and Co. the fellow partners being Alfred Wallis of Glenholme and Asa Briggs of Greenside House. The hose was completed in 1888 for Alfred Benn.
Joseph Benn resided at 42 Clayton Lane (now number 97) in 1862 and according to the Census of 1871 at 26 Broadfolds. He left Clayton about 1881 and lived in a detached mansion in Horton Grange off Legrams Lane.
Now a nursing home was the home of Joseph Benn’s son Harrison Benn. The two houses shared an extensive estate which stretched from Clayton Lane to Reva Syke. Harrison Benn also built Chrisharben Park which he named after his wife Christine Harrison Benn.
J Benn and Co. built the Clayton Mill which has been demolished and is now a housing estate.