St. Werburgh's Church
A Brief History
|St. Laurence's Church.
The original Church was opened in 1866 but due to increasing population a bigger Church ws opened in 1874.
Disaster befell it in 1884 when the church was damaged during the construction of the Mersey Railway and was replaced in 1890. The church continued to serve the area until, due to dwindling population it closed in March 1995.
|St. Werburgh's Church.|
Opened on August 15th 1837. In 1941 the girls and infant school in adjoining Austin Street was destroyed by bombing and at the same time the church was damaged. St. Werburgh's is still flourishing today and is known as "the shoppers church"
(Excerpts from Birkenhead by Ian Boumphrey.)