A Kinson website devoted to old Kinson and modern Kinson
Kinson Review of 2012
Enjoying local history through Communigate
Old Maps of Kinson and the surrounding district
Unusual sunsets in Kinson
Kinson Astronomy Photo diary
Kinson Wild Flowers Botany & Blooms picture diary
Kinson Common Wild Orchids
Mr. Archibald Hedge Hog`s column
Looking around the historic Kinson Church
About this website
Kinson Common, Local Nature Reserve, SSSI, SACs site
Kinson & Kinson Common, 1066 to modern times
Kinson Local Astronomy monthly
Poems about Kinson
History of Kinson in Dorset
Natural history files for Kinson, Longham, Millhams, Turbary
A Naturalist`s Millennium & Kinson Nature Diaries
Kinson Heritage buildings
Kinson Common Virtual Tour
Glimpses of Old Kinson
Kinson Monthly Nature Diary
Moonfleet mono photo gallery
Moonfleet colour photo gallery
Moonfleet cartoon photo gallery
Insects and Spiders
All named areas of Kinson Common
Kinson Walks 2013
Kinson News 2013
Moonfleet Kinson Wild Birds Photo Gallery
Which of these places do you like to visit in Kinson?
Those who were imprisoned
He came to Dorchester gaol on 5th July 1809.
Height: 5ft 10 inches.
Hair: Very dark brown.
Complexion: Much pitted in the face with small pox.
Employed in gaol: Engine/ Days labourer.
Sentence: Fined £223.10.0, 3 months in Dorchester gaol.
Discharged: 26th October 1809.
James Abraham died in 1816. He was buried in Kinson Churchyard and the service was performed by the Rev`d George Tito-Brice. It is thought that he was single man and few other details are known about him.
He was committed at the Dorchester gaol on the 23rd September 1828.
Page Number: 28.
Entry number: 54.
Height: Over 5ft 9inches.
Other features: A small cut on the left side of the under jaw.
Sentence: Imprisoned until he pays the sum of £100..
Discharged: 7th April 1830.
His father, also named Luke, lived at West Howe where he died in 1847 aged 89 years.
The Buddens and the Butlers were related by marriage.
A real smuggler who lived at East Howe, Bournemouth
|HENRY TILLER |
Henry was caught for smuggling late in 1826.
Entry No: 217
Height: 5ft six and a quarter inches
Hair: Light brown
Complexion: Rather Sallow
Occupation: Laborer, Married
Other features: A cut just above the back of the wrist, left hand from which accident the left thumb is grown out.
Sentence: To be imprisoned until he pays the sum of £100.
Discharged on 21st October 1827.
The Tiller surname can also sometimes be written as Teller, Tillar or Tillor. In Old English,the interpretation of the name literally means tiller of the soil.
Henry was baptised on 3rd May 1801 at St. Andrew`s church in Kinson and was raised at East Howe. Henry married Hester Carter (bapt. 20th Nov 1796) at Kinson on 14th February 1825 and neither could write. Against his mark on the marriage document the name Henry White appears. This name now appears on a recently published document and this can mislead researchers especially as they no longer have access to the original registers.
He appears to have settled down again in East Howe following his release from prison, returning to work on the land. Children of Henry and Hester include: Mary Ann (born c1824), Ellen (born c1826),Esther (bapt. 10th June 1827), Henry (bapt. 4th Jan 1829), John (bapt. 24th July 1831), Julia Elizabeth (bapt 23rd June 1834) and Edward (born c1841).
In 1841, Three cottages, in close proximity to each other were occupied by the various members of the Tiller or Teller family at East Howe.
Cottage 1: John Tiller, (75), agriculture labourer, Ann Tiller (80), wife, and a son, William Tiller, aged 35.
Cottage 2: James Tiller, (40), Jane Tiller, (40), wife.
Cottage 3: Henry Tiller (former smuggler), (40), agriculture labourer. Esther (wife), (40), wife. Mary Ann Tiller, (17), daughter. Ellen Tiller, (15), daughter. Henry Tiller, (13), son. John Tiller, (10), son.
In 1851, Henry Tiller (50), is still an agriculture labourer. Living in the same cottage are: Hester (wife); Henry (20) son; John (19), son; Edward (11), son.
Henry died in 1853 and was buried in Kinson churchyard on November 23rd.
In 1861, the late Henry Tiller`s son, also named Henry, still resides at East Howe and was employed in agriculture. The details are: Henry (33); Eliza, (50), wife; Henry (8); James (5);
Mary Ann (5); Rosa Jane (8 months).
Hester or Esther, wife of the late Henry Tiller (smuggler), is recorded in 1861 as a widow, probably living with or close to the Randall family.
Other Information about the Tiller family:
The banns of his parents, John Tiller & Ann Luther were published on the 12th, 19th & 26th (Sundays) in October of 1788 and they were married on the 15th day of November in the same year.
We also know where they lived as the area was named "Tiller`s plot". The small triangle where they lived can still be traced and is located at a point where a section of Kinson Road was straightened many years ago. On the c1840 Kinson Tithe map, the land is no: 369, house and garden of 1R 10 perches. This land was held by trustees under the will of Sir John Webb Baronet deceased as were nearby dwellings. Earlier in time, the property and land was marked no: 988, surrounded by a triangular section of land no: 989.
The Tiller family is faithfully recorded in the records of Kinson church. John Tiller`s wife and family were assisted in 1794, 1797, 1798 and 1803.
John and Ann`s children arrived as follows: Mary (bapt. 5th Feb 1792), Edward (bapt. 25th Dec 1794),James ( bapt. 30th Oct 1796), Thomas & William ( 20th Jan 1799) and Henry (1801).
It is believed that Henry Tiller received two shillings and sixpence in 1844 and 1846 from the Weare`s trust which was set up by a glovemaker from a place known as Little Canford. Luke Budden snr, also received help from this very same fund.
And of course, during his time in Kinson, a certain well known gentleman named Isaac Gulliver, was a trustee of this very same fund!
(This page was revised and updated on 21st May 2011.)
Richard Frampton - a shoe maker smuggler
Caught in 1827 for making a light on the sea coast to attract smugglers.
Height: Over 5` 9 inches.
Hair: Dark brown.
Eyes: Very dark hazel.
Other features: A cut onthe left side of the forehead.
A small mole on the right cheek.
Sentence: Discharged after 3 months.
Removed by Habeas Corpus to the Hampshire County gaol.
Other details: It is thought that Richard returned to Kinson and later married.
He died in 1861 and was buried in Kinson churchyard.
It is believed that he was the last smuggler to be buried in Kinson when the smuggling age ended.
Robert Trotman - Kinson`s "adopted" smuggler
|At the rear of Kinson churchyard you will find his grave. Robert Trotman came from Wiltshire and was killed during an affray with the Excise men on the north shore between Poole and Bournemouth.
His inscription reads
"To the memory of Robert Trotman late of Rond (Rowde) in the county of Wilts who was
barbarously murdered on the shore near Poole the 24th March 1765."
A little tea one leaf I did not steal
For guiltless blood shed I to God appeal
Put tea in one scale human blood in t`other
And think what tis to slay a harmless brother
How Robert trotman died:
The smugglers, about 20 in number, were loading tea onto their horses when they were surprised by Lt. Down and 14 hands from the cutter Folkstone which was lying at anchor near the Brownsea road.
A midshipman (Robert Wilson) was the first on the scene, but the smugglers beat him with their horse-whips. Lt. Down`s clerk (Edward Morrice) suffered the same type of treatment and was also wounded by a pistol shot. The smugglers then dragged him into the sea to drown but he managed to struggle and crawl to safety and hid in a local chine.
Lt. Down ordered his men to cut the bags of tea from the smugglers` horses. The smugglers made use of all the means in their power to defend themselves injuring Eneas Atkins, an able seaman in the leg.
Robert Trotman from near Devizes, the head of this very desperate gang was killed. As it was dark (Sunday night after 11p.m. - not long after the Moon had set), Lt. Down nor any of his men could be certain who had shot him, they or the smugglers. Nine of the smugglers` horses died on or near the shore.
The smugglers did not wait for Lt. Down to inform the Coroner and sent to Ringwood for him themselves. The inquest on Robert Trotman was held on the following afternoon at North Haven House.
Passed down accounts suggest that two smugglers attended the inquest and were sworn in on the jury. The jury without proper notice being given to Lt. Down or any of his men, brought in their verdict, "wilful murder by person(s) unknown".
Extracts from The Salisbury & Winchester Journal state:
"Last Monday, nearly one ton of tea was brought to the Custom`s house, taken by Lt. Down of the Folkstone cutter."
"After a smart engagement overnight in which one of the smugglers was killed and nine horses were killed and three of the cutter`s men wounded. The horses were hamstrung to prevent them from galloping off with the tea. Tis thought that several of the smugglers are mortally wounded."
Smuggler Trotman was buried at Kinson on the 30th march, 1765. His burial entry reads:
"A smuggler shot on the Shore."
Unanswered questions which still puzzle historians.
Who conveyed Trotman to Kinson? Who paid his funeral expenses?
Who wrote his inscription? Was it George Lockyer the Parish clerk?
Isaac Gulliver is known to have been extremely articulate and did he have a hand in
the writing of the inscription which still survives to this day?
Was young Isaac Gulliver with Robert trotman on the night he died?
Suggested funeral expenses for one of the poorer classes before 1800:
A coffin cost between 6 and 9 shillings;
A shroud cost 5 shillings;
Beer at a funeral may have cost 3 shillings;
The Parish clerk may have paid 2shillings and 8pence
to the bell-ringers to ring Kinson Church`s bells.
John and Hannah Potter and connections with Gulliver`s Tavern
|Now renamed Gulliver`s Tavern, it is the oldest public house in Bournemouth dating to about 1750. The recent discovery of an ancient fireplace tends to suggest an earlier date than this, as do other printed records.|
Henry and John Biddlecombe were licensees in the 1740`s. William Waterman , Edward Moores and Robert Hart held the Dolphin in 1753.
Edward Moores was certainly a well known smuggler and Robert Hart was connected with the White Hart Inn at Longham.
Back in 1763, the property was known as the Dolphin & Chequer, the licensee was James Matravers. Gulliver`s own father had his own doubts as to whether he was the father of Isaac. In view of Isaac Gulliver`s "great interest" in Kinson, could this Matravers have any connection with Isaac`s father`s uncertainty?
There is a Kinson record dated 11th February 1760 when a James Matravers married Elizabeth Franks by licence at St. Andrew`s church. Many years later, in September 1785, there is a record of a James Matravers of Semington, Wilts, letting an inn called or known by the name of the Bell, with out houses, offices, garden and a malt-house opposite the same wherein may be made twelve quarters a week.
John and Hannah Potter are known to have come to Kinson from Wimborne after previously marrying there. John was listed as the licensee in 1771 and was a tenant of Mary Barnes who sold Pitts Farm to Isaac Gulliver in the 1770`s.
The Potters also had the following children: Jenny (1763), Mary (1766), Anne(1768) and Ruth (1771). William entered this world in 1780, a little after thought? (Details of children updated 29.1.2010)
Ruth Potter married Thomas LeCocq at Kinson church and his uncle, Peter LeCocq, was a well known Weymouth smuggler. Their family
tree can be traced back to 1575 and is held by Moonfleet of Kinson.
The inventory clearly shows that John Potter held 100 acres of leasehold land rated at 12/- per acre.
Knowing the details of the surrounding farmland and who lived in the properties in central Kinson, it is for certain that John farmed the Kinson Common, or at least 100 acres of the original area we now refer to as the Kinson Common.
This theory is fully backed up by full proof, especially written records that those who later held the Dolphin Inn, especially the respected Spencer and Williams families, also farmed the land which we now call the Kinson Common, originally known as Howe Farm.
As for Hannah, or should it rightly be Sussana(?), she is mentioned on the 19th February, 1784.
On this day, we are reliably informed, Mr. William Lander, Commander of the cutter Laurel, with Mr.Samuel Colbourne, his mate, Mr.Richard Wilkinson, mate of the Diligence lugger in the service of the port of Poole, with 37 of their men, went out on duty to Kingston (Kinson),after being informed about concealed goods in a barn & stable there.
During the search more than 100 people, some on horseback, some on foot, all of whom were armed with pistols, cutlasses, bludgeons, pitch-forks and other offensive weapons attacked the search party.
So cruelly were the men beaten and bruised that no less than 27 of them ended up in the sick quarters under the care of a surgeon (at this place). None of them died!!
The Customs men recognised John King, the leader of the gang, John Dolman, William Russell and his son, John and William Butler, John Gillingham, John Sanders, Robert Brine and Hannah Potter the local innkeeper`s wife.
Some of those mentioned lived close to the Dolphin Inn and have interesting accounts to be retold about them!
In November of 1786, a new built malt-house with two kilns, 180 feet long and 24 feet broad, with one acre of ground, situate, at Kingston, was advertised to be sold by private contract. Those wishing to view the premises had to apply to Mr. John Potter, of the same place; or for further particulars apply to Mr. John Lester, at Poole; or Mr. Edward Beak, at Ensbury.
The advertised malt-house and land was right next door to the Dolphin Inn and Mr Beak or Beake, was probably the very same person known to be a very great smuggler who was also involved with Longham smugglers.
Both Hannah and John died within a relatively short time span in the same year (1794). Although the Dolphin Inn had very strong connections with the local smuggling trade, when the following inventory was taken, there was not an ounce of baccy or even a hint of brandy on the premises.
The inventory also refers to The Old Sloop House.
It is believed that this property was the forerunner to the building we now know as The Kinson Rectory.
The following is a unique insight into the personal possessions of a local smuggler and his very loyal wife.
Inventory of Mr. John Potter`s goods and stock at his decease by us, December 12th, 1794.
Cash in the house (Fifteen pounds)
Goods in the barter
2 Oak tables
1 round mahogany table
a desk 3 plain chairs & 7 stained
a warming pan A store
1 large waiter & 3 small ones (trays)
A looking glass (mirror)
9 front pieces
A large chainy bowl (china) & 2 small
13 dalp bowls (delph?)
11 tea cups & 10 saucers of chainy & 1 tea pot
6 coffee ditto...........
1 china bread & butter plate
5 cups and a teas saucer of china
2 comen (common?) tea pots
2 china canesters & 2 cream mugs
7 china waiters (slavers or trays)
5 wine decanters
2 vinegar cruets & 4 half pint tumblers
6 half pint tumblers
2 blue and white china bread & butter plate
4 large silver table spoons
a Punch ladle
a silver pepper pot & a cream mug
a pair of sugar tongs
Poker tongs fire brass & fender
4 wine glasses
Goods in the Kitchen
12 large pewter dishes 34 plate
a (pair) pint: nogen & a noggen
2 sparks? and a candle box
9 iron candlesticks & 2 brass
1 brass pistle & mortar
a pair of snuffers
a coffee mill
a pewter gallon
balance of weights
? half pint tumblers & 3 quarter? pint ditto
2? dram glasses
6 stone quart 60 pints & 12 half pint ditto
a pair of bellows & a small brush
a great iron cleaver, a cott? & a brander
2 roasting doggs a smoke jack & jacks
a small tea kettle
a salt tub & 8 old chairs
a large water jug
a copper coffee pot
Goods in the Bar
a large tea table
2 tea pots
5 tea cups & 8 saucers
4? common basins
5 silver tea spoons
6 cream cooler? plate
2 dozen and a half wine glasses
1 pint rimmer
a small looking glass & pichter (picture?)
a Japan? quart
a potato grater
7 large glass bottles
a vinegar cruet, salt celer & a mustard pot
a blue & white print?
1 dozen black handle knives & forks
a case of plated handle knives & forks
and a carving (set) of knives & forks
8 table cloths
a stained chair and a common
a dozen reading books
Goods in the Cellar
1 Hogshead of best beer
4 Hogshead of common? beer (ordinary)
8 gallons of Holland gin
2 gallons of rum
1 gallon of pepermint
8 large barrel? cheese & 2 hamry (hams)
1 funnel 2 empty casks
a sels of half bushell
Goods in the Milk Room
9 large pewter dishes & a waiter
8 Yalo large dishes
7 ditto plate
a large winsctot table
In the Pantry
8 milk pans & 3 beer pots
an old cupboard
an old stool
a cheese board
4 Crocks? & 2 pickling jugs
Goods in Demot House (Domestic house)
3 trendles a small sets of looming lugs
a butter churn
a dripping pan
a large furness
a milk pale and 2 scalets
a large copper boiler
2 iron pots
a brass ladle & iron scomer?
an old cheese press
Upstairs in the Little Chamber
A bedstead and green curtains
a feather bed two blankets & bolster & a rug
an old box and large pack chest
2 bedsteads & curtains
5? dozen blankets
a candle piece
2? featherbeds 2 bolsters and 4 pillows
small dressing table
Large looking glass
Wash hand basin
9? stained chairs
closs (clothes) stool
a water pewter plate
a small carpet
In the Garrett
2 bedsteads a feather bed & 2 bolsters
5 blankets 2 empty boxes
In the Clob or Club Room
2 old chest of bottles
1 large arm chair
a large table board
4 large stools
a bed stead
Demott House Chambers
a bedstead of bed curtains
3 old beds & 3 bolsters 5 old blankets
3 old linen quilts
a small deal table
In the Little Chamber Demot House
an old bedstead & yalo rug? (tall boy?)
In the Straw Barden (Rick Barton)
3 cow curbs
3 old wheels
1 Pot cart
1 small cart
Hay in rick-barton 2 tuns
Barley in ditto
Oats 4 quarters leder
a rick staff
Wheat in the barn
a corn screen a bar stock of heaver
a half bushell & scoop
1 fork, one rake & 4 prongs
1 mare 1 year old
1 mare 3 yr old
1 pair of thil harness
3 ditto of traces ditto
3 pairs of plough harness & traces
In the Cart House
an old cart
2 tall giggs
7 quarters & 4 bushels Barley in the
Granary at 30/-
2 sacks peas
8 ackers of wheat at 3 bushells an acre
ploughing & sowing at 7/6 (8 acres)
Value of stock & personal possessions £214.12.06
Potter`s Estate leasehold at 12/- £60 - -
The Dolphin House £200 - -
The Old Sloop House £30 - -
Total = £504.12.06
A new sign for a tavern
|This is a modern inn sign for Gulliver`s Tavern in Kinson.
What would Isaac Gulliver say about this?
John Potter and Isaac Gulliver
|Both their names appear on the same page in the
Churchwardens records for St. Andrew`s church.
John was paid for supplying oak timber and Isaac
was paid for supplying limestones.
Robert Trotman`s burial entry
|This is an extract from the burial records of Kinson Church in 1765. The Salisbury and Winchester journal hinted that other local smugglers might also have been mortally wounded but this is not proved in the Kinson records.|
This page has been visited times.