A Kinson website devoted to old Kinson and modern Kinson
Kinson Review of 2012
Enjoying local history through Communigate
Old Maps of Kinson and the surrounding district
Unusual sunsets in Kinson
Kinson Astronomy Photo diary
Kinson Wild Flowers Botany & Blooms picture diary
Kinson Common Wild Orchids
Mr. Archibald Hedge Hog`s column
Looking around the historic Kinson Church
About this website
Kinson Common, Local Nature Reserve, SSSI, SACs site
Kinson & Kinson Common, 1066 to modern times
Kinson Local Astronomy monthly
Poems about Kinson
History of Kinson in Dorset
Natural history files for Kinson, Longham, Millhams, Turbary
A Naturalist`s Millennium & Kinson Nature Diaries
Kinson Heritage buildings
Kinson Common Virtual Tour
Glimpses of Old Kinson
Kinson Monthly Nature Diary
Moonfleet mono photo gallery
Moonfleet colour photo gallery
Moonfleet cartoon photo gallery
Insects and Spiders
All named areas of Kinson Common
Kinson Walks 2013
Kinson News 2013
Moonfleet Kinson Wild Birds Photo Gallery
Which of these places do you like to visit in Kinson?
Finding out about an older and more modern Kinson
|What topics are you interested in finding out about?|
Here is a list for you to consider:-
1. General local history?
2. Specific times in Kinson`s past?
3. Finding out more about people of the past?
4. Old buildings, standing or gone?
5. Do you like photography and taking pictures of
6. Would you be willing to help look for landscape features relating to times gone by?
This information is important to us and we would be pleased to hear from you.
We are pleased to be able to serve the Kinson Community and would welcome opportunities to exchange valuable information to mutual advantage.
Please visit our Guest book.
Interested in research?
|There is still much to research about Old Kinson.
This is a page relating to Kinson church which dates to 1697.
Interested in smuggling history?
|This is the burial entry of James Abraham, a Kinson smuggler who died in 1816.|
|Smuggler Tiller died in 1853 and was buried in Kinson churchyard.
Direct descendants of his family still live in the Kinson district today.
A field by the present day School Lane
|This field was originally named Stoney Close and was even owned by Isaac Gulliver centuries ago.
Near the trees in the background of this photograph, a modern Kinson Primary School was built in 1936.
The foreground is now occupied by modern housing and local shops.
Mr. Jess Short
|Jess, together with Bill Hicks, helped to pull the German Kaiser out of the Millhams Stream. This event happened in the early 1900`s before the start of the Great War.|
A Jacobean fireplace in Kinson
|This was once to be found in Ensbury manor. This fine fireplace, was dated to the reign of James I, 1603 - 1625.
It is believed that when Ensbury manor was demolished, this valuable piece of furniture was shipped to America.
|A fine Canford Estate cottage, probably dating to about 1873, now demolished.
The name, Spindlewood, still lives on at Millhams Mead today.
The Kinson Parish Messenger
|This is the front cover of a printed document in circulation in Kinson in 1879.|
In 1792, a young Beothuk girl was captured near Charles by fishermen avenging the alleged theft of salmon nets and traps. During a confrontation, a Beothuk man was shot and killed and a Beothuk boy was wounded. Two women were allowed to run free and Oubee was taken as "a fair prize".
Oubee went to live with a family of merchant, Thomas Stone of Trinity. When the family left Newfoundland in December 1793 for Dorset, England, they took Oubee with them. It is believed that she lived in Howe Lodge and would have seen and been aware of the whole area of land surrounding the present day Kinson Swimming Baths near South Kinson Drive in Bournemouth.
We were very fortunate to meet Randolph Paul who has been researching her life and has also published a book of poems for Oubee. Bedoret Ahune or in English, From the Heart of the Rock, was published by Paul in 1997.
Following careful research, it did not take time to find a record of her. In about 1795, Mr.Thomas Stone was paid twelve shillings and ten pence for expenses in connection with "Eomoy". The reference was found in the records of Kinson church. Oubee was buried in an unmarked plot in the churchyard.
For some time now we have felt that a small plaque should be placed to record her life locally. It is saddening to know that the Beothuk tribe is now extinct and only 111 words were ever recorded of her tribe`s vocabulary.
We are happy to be able to feature the extract confirming her passing in Kinson.
Kannabuck Mamset Munes Beathook!
Long life to the spirit of the (her) people!
Today and yesterday
|The same scene can be viewed from the corners of Brook Road and Kinson Road today.|
Central Kinson in the 1920`s
|This photograph was taken from near the junction of the present day Kitscroft Road and Horsham Avenue.|
The good old days!
|This is a scene dating to the 1950`s in the heart of what is still regarded today as Kinson Village.|
Kinson Village Green in Bournemouth
|Kinson Village Green|
We feature the Kinson Village Green and our photograph also includes an inset of the special stone seat at the rear of the Green which marks the site of the Kinson Pound, long gone now.
Back in the 1700`s, it was an enclosure number 930, surrounded by a cluster of mud huts, the centre of Kinson Village. One cannot keep a good name down!
By 1836, the land became the site of the original Kinson School and was leased from Lord Wimborne for 99 years at a peppercorn rent.
From after 1936 to the 1950`s, the Old School and land was used for a variety of community uses before eventually becoming a waste ground, grazed for a time by local goats.
A ceremony took place on the 23rd March, 1968, to celebrate the setting up of a Village Green. We also note that at the instigation of the late Alderman Harry Benwell, the land in question was suitably drained and returfed.
Many may recall that an "Olde English" sign , a set of "olde stocks" and a number of seats were suitably positioned around the site. As well as tree planting on the day, pupils from Kinson Primary School danced around a maypole accompanied to music played by the Oakmead School Band.
On the 29th August, 1969, it was registered as a Village Green, one of only three in modern day Bournemouth, by the King`s Park Residents Association, c/o their Vice-Chairman, Mr. S. J Kilmister. This registration, being undisputed, became final on the 1st August , 1972.
Despite attempts to use it for other community purposes, the land remains owned by the Borough of Bournemouth and continues as a Village Green.
Sadly, there is no modern marker, stone or even a Borough wooden sign to say that the area is indeed a Village Green.
Ought we not to try and keep a few reminders of Kinson`s past before they are all gone. By doing so, we are surely continuing to keep Kinson Village and its community spirit alive?
We are very fortunate also to have so many other buildings and features in the Kinson area to remind us of our rich heritage locally.
Charles Bennett - Olympic champion in 1900
|Charles Bennett - Olympic Champion|
Kinson Primary School has a "real" connection with Britain`s first Olympic champion, who won medals at the Paris games in 1900.
In Shapwick, the Dorset village where he was born in 1870, staged the Charles Bennett Millennium Mile Race on the 23rd September 2000, to coincide with the first weekend of the Sydney Olympics 2000. The event raised £3,500 towards the setting up of The Charles Bennett Playing Field. Other funds for this project came from other sources including the East Dorset District Council, the Countryside Agency, Doorstep Green, Living Spaces and the Lottery.
At the Paris games, Charles broke two world records, taking gold in the 1,500m, silver in the 4,000m steeplechase and led Britain to victory in the 5,000m team race. Charles was national cross-country champion in 1899 & 1900, four-mile champion from 1897-1899, one-mile champion in 1900 and ten-mile champion in 1899. He was closely associated with the Finchley Harriers. He trained on a diet of boiled rice and raws eggs and sprinted through ploughed up fields to build himself up. As a runner, Charles used to hang back until the very last moment & came flying from behind to win his races in a style similar to many of our present day top athletes.
His wife, Sara-Lena Lewis, was a court dressmaker based in Wimborne Square, in the days when the Lords` Allington, Shaftesbury & Cranborne staged regular balls and parties in the district.
In 1903, Charles Bennett, was the licensee of the Dolphin Inn (now named Gulliver`s Tavern), providing accomodation for commercials, cyclists, also good stabling facilities.
A picture of Charles Bennett used to hang in the original Kinson Conservative Club. Sadly, all his cups were stolen. Charles later lived at Holt Lodge in Kinson and died in Bournemouth and is buried in St. Andrew`s churchyard in Millhams Road.
Inscriptions in the Kinson churchyard read: In loving memory of Charles Bennett who died 13th Dec 1948 aged 78 years. Also of his beloved wife Sarah Lena who died 13th Feb 1950 aged 75 years. "Until the Day Break."
Kinson School Register(s) 1892-1918
Children of Charles Bennett who attended the old school which once stood on the land which later became the Kinson Village Green.
568 Jack Bennett
569 Fred Bennett (568 & 569 were twins.)
570 Max Bennett
610 Hilda Bennett
635 Reginald Bennett
Gulliver`s trail in north Bournemouth
|Mr. Richard Hesketh launched this new trail to a packed audience at the Kinson Hub on Friday 3rd February 2012.|
Copies of this self-guided trail celebrating North Bournemouth`s history and wildlife can be obtained at the Kinson Hub.
The trail starts at the car park at the rear of St. Andrew`s church, Kinson. It takes in Millhams Mead with distant views of Cudnell; the site of the old Pitt`s Farm and a good cross section of Kinson Common.
Along the route it certainly covers many areas closely associated with Isaac Gulliver and enables walkers to view closely open spaces and local nature reserves well managed by the Parks and Countryside services of Bournemouth.
Leaving Kinson Common, the trail heads off up Poole Lane towards West Howe and Turbary Common. A carefully chosen section of the Common certainly gives more than a hint of smuggling days and how an older Bournemouth once looked.
The trail continues through the Fernheath Valley and eventually leads out onto Kinson Road and the nearby Hadow Road.
In Hadow Road, the trail passes by the Bourne Academy and Kingleigh Field and Green Lane is soon reached. This old and winding lane leads directly to East Howe Lane and eventually Primrose cottages.
The trail winds around the cottages and through Puck`s Dell and heads back again towards Brook Road. A narrow lane at Brook Road leads to Gulliver`s Walk and down to Cuckoo Woods. It is only a short walk from the woods to the Kinson shopping centre.
Using the controlled crossing in the heart of Kinson, Millhams Road leads directly by Kinson Village Green, Pelhams, Grey Cottages, St. Andrew`s church and the rear car park.
Using gps, the walk covers approximately 11km which is 6.83 miles. Allowing for retrieval of dropped brandy kegs and avoiding Custom`s officers, this challenging and fascinating walk will certainly extend to 7+ miles.
This page has been visited times.