A Kinson website devoted to old Kinson and modern Kinson
Kinson Review of 2012
Enjoying local history through Communigate
Old Maps of Kinson and the surrounding district
Unusual sunsets in Kinson
Kinson Astronomy Photo diary
Kinson Wild Flowers Botany & Blooms picture diary
Kinson Common Wild Orchids
Mr. Archibald Hedge Hog`s column
Looking around the historic Kinson Church
About this website
Kinson Common, Local Nature Reserve, SSSI, SACs site
Kinson & Kinson Common, 1066 to modern times
Kinson Local Astronomy monthly
Poems about Kinson
History of Kinson in Dorset
Natural history files for Kinson, Longham, Millhams, Turbary
A Naturalist`s Millennium & Kinson Nature Diaries
Kinson Heritage buildings
Kinson Common Virtual Tour
Glimpses of Old Kinson
Kinson Monthly Nature Diary
Moonfleet mono photo gallery
Moonfleet colour photo gallery
Moonfleet cartoon photo gallery
Insects and Spiders
All named areas of Kinson Common
Kinson Walks 2013
Kinson News 2013
Moonfleet Kinson Wild Birds Photo Gallery
Which of these places do you like to visit in Kinson?
The Shopping Centre
56 votes (18%)
The Kinson Library
20 votes (7%)
The Kinson Community Centre
22 votes (7%)
27 votes (9%)
The Kinson Common
39 votes (13%)
34 votes (11%)
The Village Green
10 votes (3%)
50 votes (16%)
Local Public houses and takeaways
22 votes (7%)
No real preference
24 votes (8%)
Buildings of special interest locally
The buildings listed on the following pages will serve to show the wealth and depth of just how rich the local area is in historical terms, of what remains now of an older Kinson.
These buildings with outstanding features are within reasonable reach for any planned Local Heritage project.
Of course, these buildings do not themselves tell us very much about past occupiers or indeed the periods when the now forgotten generations lived in them.
We ourselves, must look in local libraries, read up on old published books and even visit the County archives in Dorchester to research deposited records.
The Internet is a very useful tool to use to find out lots of interesting information but one cannot beat the hands on approach of physically picking up and looking at genuine and original documents.
The oldest and certainly one of the most interesting in the Kinson area is the historic St. Andrew`s church which has a late 12th century square western tower.
Manor farm is another although as a working farm it is out of bounds to casual viewers. The latter dates to the 1700`s and all the other special buildings in the Kinson area date from the mid-1700`s to the late 1800`s.
Not every historical feature or building in Kinson is listed.
Examples include a blacksmith`s house in Wimborne Road (late 19th century), or the Oddfellows Hall in the heart of the Kinson village Shopping centre. There are many other features on walls and buildings, even an ancient well thought to be constructed of Tudor brick. We pass these daily and most people never even notice them.
We also cannot assume that "listed building status" will ensure that any historic
building now standing will be there forever.
Sometimes, buildings are de-listed & demolished. Local watch bodies such as Historical societies and the Civic Society are ever mindful of the need to keep a watching brief.
Even our local children, whether at school or playing in the area are walking over Kinson`s rich heritage.
Millhams Mead, Kinson and Turbary Commons, all had very significant roles to play in the past.
Cuckoo Woods once formed a part of a gentleman`s estate. Waste ground near the former Pitts Farm , still survives to this day, also an ancient lane near Durdells Avenue which leads down to the Millhams stream.
Pelham`s Park, home of the Fryers in days gone
by, is quite unique in Bournemouth.
As the following pages will reveal, there is much of an older Kinson still surviving today.
Checklist of important local buildings in the Kinson area
|Checklist of Kinson`s Heritage|
Canford Estate Cottages Nos 102 & 103 Manor Farm Road.
Canford Estate cottages Nos 280 to 286 (even), Poole Lane.
Canford Estate cottages Nos 310 & 312, Poole Lane.
Church of St. Andrew`s, Millhams Road, including the John Weare and Oakley monuments.
Ensbury Dower House 1300, Wimborne Road (23 November 1989 II).
Gate piers and wall to Manor Farm.
Kinson Rectory, Millhams Road.
Manor Farm House, Manor Farm Road.
Grey Cottages (local interest), Millhams Road.
Gulliver`s Tavern (formerly the Dolphin Inn), Wimborne Road.
Longham Bridge, Ringwood Road.
Pelhams, Millhams Road.
Primrose Cottages Nos 119 & 121 East Howe Lane.
The Thatched House, East Howe lane.
Wall to Road south-west of Pelhams, Millhams Road.
Waterlane Farm House , Brecon Close.
Gulliver`s Tavern, formerly known as the Dolphin Inn
The Dolphin Inn, now renamed Gulliver`s Tavern.
Coaching Inn now a public house, probably early-mid c18, extended and altered c1900 and late c20. Painted brick, c18 in Flemish bond; the c1900 added ranges have tile-hung gables with decorative bands. Plain tile roofs.
2 storeys, c18 part with loft. 2-bay c18 block with single-storey bay to right and wing to rear right; c1900 range added to rear left, a single-storey added wing set back on left and a 2 storey former stable range added to right,gable-end on. Windows mostly c1900 with wood mullions and transoms, 4-pane casements, and stepped tile sills.
C18 block: 2 wide, flat brick-arched windows
to each floor, those on 1st floor flanking bracketed pub sign; stepped and cogged eaves; brick end stack to right.
Single-storey bay to right under catslide roof has c18 door of 2 raised and fielded panels, and a 2-light windows. Former stable, to right, has 6-light window to 1st floor, barge boards and ridge stack to rear. Single-storey range set back on left has the left end recessed with a pent porch, and to right a large window below gable continued across canted corner with smaller windows on its right. Left return of c18 block: 3 light windows to ground and 1st floors, the latter under moulded dripmould, a 16-pane sash with exposed sash box to gable. Rear: c18 wing, the gable end mostly c20 tile-hung, has 3-light window and door to ground floor, 2-light window to 1st floor, and 3-
light loft window; half-hipped roof with cross-ridge stack; one blocked segmental header-brick arched window to left return, other windows inserted.
Interior: c18 range: old 2-panel cupboard door with h-hinge below stair to loft, which has fireplace, chamfered butt purlins and one remaining old principal rafter truss.
There is documentary evidence of the building being in use as an Inn (called the Dolphin & Chequer) in 1763 (information supplied by Mr R Haskell).
Ref: SZ 0696 + 0796 6/72.
Pelhams, Kinson Community Centre
|Millhams Road |
(North East side)
(Formerly listed as Kinson Community Centre)
Tall White stucco mansion 1793, 3 storeys, 3 windows wide, original glazing bars to sashes. Hipped slate roof on overhanging eaves, 2 short chimneys with cornices.
Elegent semi-circular porch with 2 Tuscan columns and pilasters flanking round-arched doorway, with concave jambs and arch, infilled above door by plain tympanum.
Rear has arched window of 1st floor centre with arched glazing bars. Modern extensions at sides and rear for Community Centre, older south wing demolished circa 1950.
Ref: SZ 0796 6/13
(North East side)
Wall to road south-west of Pelhams
Wall to Millhams Road, red brick with gabled brick coping.
Group of 4 piers at north end, perhaps original entrance (now blocked).
Repairs to wall in the recent past. Ancient corner stone removed from near entrance to Manor Farm Road.
Deeds or records relating to Pelhams date back to 1711.
The Oakley family had connections with "original" Pelhams from c1715-1738.
The Borough of Bournemouth holds records for Pelhams dating from c1816.
The Kinson Community Centre was extended in 2004 and the building is used by over 50 community groups and associations.
The Kinson Rectory
|Millhams Road |
(North East side)
(Formerly No 51 Kinson Vicarage)
Originally called Brookside; Vicarage only since circa 1930. Early C19 villa, red brick with grey headers, 2 storeys. 3 windows wide, segment-headed on both floors, to west (entrance) and south, glazing bars of sashes intact. Flat hood on brackets over 6-panelled door, glazed lunette over, shutters to flanking ground floor windows. Hipped slate roof on overhanging eaves with central chimney stack.
Ref: SZ 0696 6/14
Brookside and some of its past occupants.
1721: There is a newly erected dwelling house and garden on the site. William Oakley of Cudnell and William Ford of Kinson are mentioned.
From 1758 to 1768: John Sabin or Sabben is mentioned on the deeds of the property known as the "Poole Sloop" in Kinson.
1763: Site of the Sloop Inn and the licensee was John Sabin.
A check of the Kinson records of St.Andrew`s church reveals the following information:
Susannah daughter of John & Elizabeth Sabin baptised on 3rd August 1760.
Henry son of Hannah Sabin baptised on 28th February 1773.
Henry Sabin buried on 22nd October 1775.
1777: John Potter of Kinson (The Dolphin Inn), appears on the deeds.
1796: Original property referred to as "The Sloop" public House in Kinson.
1799: The Old Sloop House appears on the inventory of John Potter of the Dolphin Inn and is valued at £30.0.0d.
C1830-1834: Christopher Hill is mentioned in legal documents and the property is referred to as formerly known as "The Sloop" or "The Poole Sloop" and garden/associated messuages.
1841: Christopher & Mary Hill. Also owned a West Howe cottage whose occupants were once involved with the smuggling trade.
1852: Mary Joyce of Wimborne Minster.
1858: David Atkins of Horton purchases from Mary Joyce of Wimborne Minster and the conveyance relates to five cottages and malthouse built on the site of "The Sloop" in Kinson.
1861: David Atkins (aged 51), wife Mary Ann (aged 24). David Atkins probably made additional changes on the site.
1881: William Abbott , farmer, 360 acres.
1895: Charles Spencer jnr and Jean Rose (formerly Williams). They married in 1892 when Charles was 42 and Jean Rose was 19. Muriel Marie born in 1897 and Irene in 1898.
1930: Vicarage for St. Andrew`s since the 1930`s. Previously the home of Miss Jessie Whitaker who left the property to the church.
Improvements to roof , guttering and external pipework in the recent past. Garden smaller due to land being sold off to allow another dwelling near to Grey Cottages.
Canford Estate cottages, Manor Farm Road
|Manor Farm Road |
Canford Estate Cottages
Nos 102 & 103
Pair of Canford Estate cottages, Tudor style, buff brick with buff terracota dressings, circa 1865, 2-storey gables, 2-light and 1-light windows with arched lights. Ornamental panels with monogram in gables.
Ref: SZ 0797 7/91
Kinson Manor Farm
|Manor Farm Road |
(Formerly listed under Manor Farm Lane, Kinson)
Originally called Kinson Farm, circa 1700, 2 storeys (plus dormers at rear). Entrance front now plastered (in 1950 tile-hung): 4 windows to ground floor, 3 to 1st, all casements. Gabled red brick porch with round arch (tiled roof with terracotta ridge and finial,late C19). Moulded timber eaves cornice, main roof of old tiles. Fine gable ends of red bricks: 2 stringcourses, kneelers, stone coping, small segmental brick pediment at apex, carrying panelled brick chimney stack. Dormers at rear have slate cheeks. Rear wing single-storey with hipped gable.
Ref: SZ 0797 7/12
Manor Farm Road GradeII
(West side) Listed 27.2.1976
Gate Piers and Wall to Manor farm
Buttressed brick walls. 2 brick gate piers with stone finials.
Ref: SZ 0797 7/12A
Grey Cottages, Millhams Road
Ref: Town Planning letter
(57-61 Millhams Road)
Terrace of 3 cottages, c1840, 2 storeys, grey roughcast, each cottage with 1 window on each floor plus door. Half hipped gables, slate roof 2 chimneys on ridge. Shutters on ground floor windows. North end plastered after recent demolition of Nos.63-65.At south end, pair of old brick gate piers, one with stone ball, on moulded base surviving.
Another dwelling built to exactly match the orginal features of a cottage demolished in the past. New dwelling built to a very good standard. Of the four now standing, the middle two cottages are shown on an estate map dating from 1769 to 1773.
St. Andrew`s Church, Millhams Road
(South west side)
Church of St. Andrew`s
Tower of ironstone rubble with ironstone dressings, unbuttressed with 2 set-offs late c12th century, flat-headed lancet windows to ground floor deeply splayed, a pair of flat-headed belfry windows, chamfered pointed arch without capitals to nave.
Nave & aisles, 3 gables, entirely of 1893-5:Decorated style, aisle windows flat-headed, 3-bay arcade double-chamfered on octagonal piers (plus short eastern bay),clerestory of quatrefoils.
Chancel of Purbeck rubble and dressings with some ironstone rubble, late c13th century: 3-light east window with Victorian plate tracery on old mullions, side windows flat-headed with renewed trefoiled lights. Chancel arch late c13th century, without capitals. North-east vestry c19th century.
John Weare monument listed on 24th January 1984. Grade II.*
Jane & William Oakley monument listed on 24th January 1984. Grade II.**
* John Weare
Mastaba-shaped tomb circa 1.524 metres long at ground level close to the base of the square western tower, carrying the inscription: `Here lyeth the body of John Weare of Little Canford` `glover who was buried here October 15th 1667, a man industrious, peaceable and charitable. In the name of his daughter Catherine he gave to the poor of Kinson, Cudnell and Ensbury, the sum of ten shillings yearly, to be paid out of his lands at West Moors for ever.`
** Oakley alter-tomb
HERE LYETH THE BODY OF WILLIAM OAKLEY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE Y 4TH MAY ANNO DOMINI 1710 BEING IN Y 48TH YEARE OF HIS AGE.
HERE LYETH THE BODY OF JANE OAKLEY THE WIFE OF WILLIAM OAKLEY Y SON OF WILLIAM OAKLEY.
HERE LYETH THE BODY OF MARY THE WIFE OF WILLIAM OAKLEY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE APRIL Y 4th IN 1718 IN Y 67TH YEARE OF HER AGE.
Please note: The Kinson Register of St. Andrew`s church records Mary`s burial as taking place on the 4th April 1717.
The Oakley family tomb
The Oakley family tomb was moved from its original position to near the new south-facing porch created in 1894-1895, by the ancient square western tower.
Recently discovered old photograph(s) dating to c1885, confirm clearly that the Oakley tomb was not near the square-western tower at that time and no smugglers ever used this tomb for storing contraband goods in its present position.
William Oakley (senior) made his will in 1710 and left his loving wife £5 of lawful money of Great Britain and also a feather bed, the one she now lys on!. He had a sister named Kimber and purchased Pitts Farm in 1706 and owned land known as Roles and other land late Marshalls.
Sons named William and John are mentioned in his will. Jane, a daughter, married John Norris and two unknown daughters married Richard and Andrew Coomb. William Oakley (senior) was also friends with George Lewin of Poole and Charles Hilley of Kingston (Kinson).
The Oakley family had connections with "original" Pelhams from c1715-1738.
Repairs to St. Andrews Church
In 1935, E. W. Kingbury & Sons of Poole undertook the renewal of the bell cage and rehung the bell at a cost in the region of £70.
One bell, weighing 6.25cwt in B, dating to 1750 and attributed to Cockey, still hangs in the bell-tower.
The battlements of the church tower were refixed and strengthened by a low brick wall cleverly hidden from view. The tower roof was in a sad condition and almost entirely renewed. The tower walls were repointed in a manner which harmonized admirably with the old stonework and the clock face was repainted. All this work was carried out by E. W. Kingsbury & Sons.
On the 16th November 1937, the church tower account was received from the builder. It amounted to £211 8s. 6d. This was an increase of £51 8s. 6d over the original estimate. Following careful scrutiny,the church authority was satisfied that the extra work was necessary. The tower roof and the nave roof were in a worse condition than was at first believed and both were restored to good order. The final bill for all the work amounted to £218 and this was paid in full by the 31st December 1937.
Longham Bridge, Ringwood Road
Partly in Bournemouth District, partly in the former Wimborne and Cranborne Rural District (Dorset). Today, East Dorset District Council. 1728, rebuilt and widened 1792. 11 low round-headed arches, ashlar piers with red brick vaults.
Stone triangular cutwaters with simple chamfered capitals. Stone and brick arch further north over mill stream to Longham Pumping Station (1885). On east side footway cantilevered out on concrete beams c 1960; west side has large duct over cutwaters. Brick sides to approach ramp.
Recent very extensive strengthening work to take the burden of heavy traffic, which includes lorries to and from the Port of Poole. Old transportation for life plaque reinstated when the highways work was completed.
Noted June 2008: Below the east side footway, covered by water, there rests on the river bed a circular stone upon which a flat stone lays which reads: Private Canford Fishing. Perhaps a relic from the original bridge?
Canford Estate cottages, 280-286, Poole lane
Canford Estate cottages
(Nos 280 to 286 (even) )
4 Canford Estate cottages in symmetrical but picturesque terrace, Tudor style, buff brick and stucco dressings, circa 1850. 3 2-storey gables with 3-light ground floor windows, 2-light 1st vent slits at apex.1 storey with 2-light windows plus 1-light gabled dormers between.Window heads, Tudor hoodmoulds, arches to lights, mullions and sills all of stucco. Roof (retiled)on overhanging eaves: 2 big clustered chimneys on ridge, each with 6 polygonal stacks - cornice and pots removed from one.
Nos 280 to 286 (even) form a group.
Ref: SZ 0595 1/66
Canford Estate cottages, 310-312, Poole Lane
Canford Estate cottages
(Nos 310 and 312)
Pair of Canford Estate cottages, Tudor style, buff brick and stucco dressings, circa 1850. Each has 2-storey gable with canted hip-roofed bay to ground floor, other windows mostly 2-light. Window heads, Tudor hoodmoulds, arches to lights, mullions and sills all of stucco. Doorways recessed with 4-centred arch, Tudor hood mould, ornamental hinges.
Ref: SZ 0595 1/67
Primrose cottages, East Howe Lane
|East Howe Lane |
Nos 119 & 121 Otherwise Nos 1 & 2, Primrose Cottages Asymmetrical pair of picturesque thatched cottages,c1800 & earlier. No119 red brick, 2 storeys with stringcourse, 2 ogee-headed Gothic casement windows on each floor,2 "eyebrows" over windows,chimney stack on gable end.
No 121 buff brick at front with entrance to No 119 overlapping into it, door with 8 panels, 6 fielded and 2 glazed. Also 2 windows wide, with shallow segment-headed openings to door and windows. North gable half-hipped, with half-timber frame infilled with red brick.
Nos 119 and 121 form a group
Ref: SZ 0795 11/11
Improvements carried out in recent years.
The Thatched House (public house), East Howe Lane
|East Howe Lane |
The Thatched House
(Formerly listed under Brook Road, East Howe)
Now a public house, formerly a villa called the Shrubberies. Well preserved & very pretty cottage ornee of circa 1820,white plaster walls, hipped thatched roof with scalloped pattern Symmetrical front, 2 storeys, 3 windows wide. Trellised wooden porch with fancy patterning and tent-shaped roof, fanlight over door of half-wheel window type. Casement windows, diamond lattice glazing, with trefoiled lights in glazing bars to ground floor and interesecting ogees in glazing bars to 1st. Windows to north and south sides have glazing pattern of alternating horizontals. Lean-to verandah at south, rear addition at north, along Brook Road, lower but still 2-story, also hipped thatch.
Ref: SZ 0795 11/10
WaterLane Farm, Brecon Close, Northbourne
Waterlane Farm House
Picturesque farmhouse circa 1840, ground floor and dormers, painted brick.Entrance front (south) has 2 doorways with lean-to slate roofs on brackets. 1 casement window between. 2 gabled weatherboarded dormers with overhanging eaves. Main roof tiled on overahnging eaves, central brick stack. Stringcourse mostly removed. Lower single-storey extension to west.
Ref: SZ 0896 18/ 167
Purchased by the Borough in the recent past and the property passed from the Housing committee to the Amenities committee.
Once used as a donkey sanctuary. Converted and preserved under private ownership circa 1992.
This page has been visited times.