A Kinson website devoted to old Kinson and modern Kinson
Kinson Review of 2012
Enjoying local history through Communigate
Old Maps of Kinson and the surrounding district
Unusual sunsets in Kinson
Kinson Astronomy Photo diary
Kinson Wild Flowers Botany & Blooms picture diary
Kinson Common Wild Orchids
Mr. Archibald Hedge Hog`s column
Looking around the historic Kinson Church
About this website
Kinson Common, Local Nature Reserve, SSSI, SACs site
Kinson & Kinson Common, 1066 to modern times
Kinson Local Astronomy monthly
Poems about Kinson
History of Kinson in Dorset
Natural history files for Kinson, Longham, Millhams, Turbary
A Naturalist`s Millennium & Kinson Nature Diaries
Kinson Heritage buildings
Kinson Common Virtual Tour
Glimpses of Old Kinson
Kinson Monthly Nature Diary
Moonfleet mono photo gallery
Moonfleet colour photo gallery
Moonfleet cartoon photo gallery
Insects and Spiders
All named areas of Kinson Common
Kinson Walks 2013
Kinson News 2013
Moonfleet Kinson Wild Birds Photo Gallery
Which of these places do you like to visit in Kinson?
A Newfoundland connection
|Kinson has many connections with the sea.|
A walker at Millhams
|The area is still very popular with walkers today.|
Kinson Church and churchyard
|The tower has no clock in this old photograph.|
|This area now has modern shops and a car park.
|The approach to Kinson Church.|
Centre of Kinson c1920`s
|The Dolphin Inn (now Gulliver`s Tavern) can be
seen in the background of this photograph.
The centre of Kinson Village
|A man is standing in the middle of Wimborne Road
close to where the modern Kinson Library is located.
Interior of the original Kinson Church
|The cluttered box pews and the chimney of the
heating system can be seen.
Durdells Farmhouse near Cudnell
|This farm was named after the Durdell Family
who farmed locally and at West Howe. The same
family also had a connection with the Dolphin Inn
back in the 1700`s.
Ensbury Manor at Northbourne
|This ancient property is said to have been 700 years old when it was demolished many decades ago.
It was once the home of the Parke family.
It had connections with smuggling and is reputed to have been haunted. House-maids being particular
Ensbury at Northbourne
|A once peaceful hamlet now occupied by a large
roundabout and a network of busy roads leading
to and from Bournemouth.
|This old photograph shows a family hard at work
The Grey cottages in Millhams Lane
|This is how the area looked in days gone by.
Kinson Church is featured in the background.
An open stream flowed towards the Millhams stream.
It is the same stream which still flows openly through the Kinson Common today.
The grounds of Pelhams House
|This photograph gives a hint of Pelhams in days
gone by when it was owned by the Rev.A. M. Sharp.
Today, Pelhams and its extensive grounds are greatly appreciated by local residents and visitors to Kinson.
In the Nave of Kinson Church before restoration
|This is a view looking towards the Chancel.|
A large open field known as Kinson Close
|This area was once owned by Isaac Gulliver the
smuggler. Today, The area is now covered by roads
which include Wicket, Bramley and Royal Oak Roads.
The original Kinson School is also featured in the
The old Kinson Shopping centre
|This photograph dates to about the 1950`s.
Sadly, Freeman`s the butcher`s recently closed
its doors for the last time.
A man on a horse in the Kinson Splash
|This oil painting was painted after the restoration of Kinson church which took place between 1893-1895.
The Kinson Splash was eventually replaced by the
Millhams Bridge. The "Splash" was there in 1907 when the German Kaiser became stuck in the murky
water and had to be rescued by Jess Short and Bill
Hicks and others. Dr. Lamb who prescribed the
whisky to the Kaiser is buried in Kinson Churchyard.
A fine lady who once owned Pelhams
|This is a portrait of Mrs. Brouncker who sold
Pelhams to the Fryer family in 1816.
|Millhams Bridge and surrounding area in its pristine condition. This was long before the
time when the whole area of Millhams was used
for tipping purposes.
Today, the whole area has been restored and is well looked after by the Borough`s very capable
and professional Countryside division.
An old wing of Pelhams
|This wing was demolished many years ago and in
recent times another building was erected which
blends in magnificently with Pelhams House.
Although Pelhams dates to the 1790`s, the deeds of
Pelhams actually date from about 1711 to 1715.
The original Kinson Church
|This old photograph shows Kinson Church as it
originally looked before its restoration which took place between 1893-1895.
Plan of Pelhams
|This is the plan of Pelhams which is featured in
the deeds when the Rev. A. M. Sharp sold the property and grounds to the Borough of Bournemouth
in the 1930`s.
Primrose cottages at East Howe
|This photograph of the Primrose cottages is not as
old as it looks. This photograph was taken just over 20 years ago!
The Old Vicarage at Northbourne
|This property was sold by the Kinson Church authorities many years ago and eventually became
a public house known as The Old Vicarage.
The Rev. E. F. Daniels
|This is an unpublished photograph of the Rev.
Daniels and his wife. He was Kinson`s first vicar
in 1866 when Kinson became a separate parish and was separated from Canford.
The Daniel`s family lived in the property during the time when it was the official vicarage for the
|This was once a large close owned by Isaac Gulliver. The site is now occupied by shops,
houses and the modern Kinson Primary School
which opened its doors in School lane in 1936.
The Dolphin Inn
|Now known as Gulliver`s Tavern, this listed building has stood on the same spot since the 1750`s.
Although no deeds exist to prove that he owned this property, someone who probably knew him well
was local smuggler John Potter, who actually owned
the public house outright.
There is a strong connnection between the two in that Potter was a tenant of Mary Barnes when she sold Pitts Farm to Isaac Gulliver in 1775.
The Kinson Splash
|This is an old photograph depicting the Kinson
Splash before Millhams Bridge was built.
The original Kinson School erected in 1836
|This old photograph depicting the headmaster and some of the school`s pupils dates to 1874.
The modern Kinson Primary School is very proud of
its past history and roots. A museum houses the
original bell and stone, also many records and old
log books which make for fascinating reading about
the days when Kinson was indeed a rural country
The heart of Old Kinson still beats on in a modern
day setting in School Lane.
|As drawn by Augustus John.|
|A glimpse of days gone by.|
An Ancient pot
|This one was found near Millhams and did not come
from the modern amenity tip!
Old School pupils
|Photo taken when the original school stood near the site of the present village green.|
Members of the Parke Family
|The Parke family once lived in Ensbury manor
in an area we now refer to as Northbourne.
The Dower House
|This fine property still stands at Northbourne and once had connections with the ancient Ensbury
National School Stone 1836
|This old stone is now proudly displayed in the
modern Kinson Primary School`s museum.
This page has been visited times.