A Kinson website devoted to old Kinson and modern Kinson
Kinson Review of 2012
Enjoying local history through Communigate
Old Maps of Kinson and the surrounding district
Unusual sunsets in Kinson
Kinson Astronomy Photo diary
Kinson Wild Flowers Botany & Blooms picture diary
Kinson Common Wild Orchids
Mr. Archibald Hedge Hog`s column
Looking around the historic Kinson Church
About this website
Kinson Common, Local Nature Reserve, SSSI, SACs site
Kinson & Kinson Common, 1066 to modern times
Kinson Local Astronomy monthly
Poems about Kinson
History of Kinson in Dorset
Natural history files for Kinson, Longham, Millhams, Turbary
A Naturalist`s Millennium & Kinson Nature Diaries
Kinson Heritage buildings
Kinson Common Virtual Tour
Glimpses of Old Kinson
Kinson Monthly Nature Diary
Moonfleet mono photo gallery
Moonfleet colour photo gallery
Moonfleet cartoon photo gallery
Insects and Spiders
All named areas of Kinson Common
Kinson Walks 2013
Kinson News 2013
Moonfleet Kinson Wild Birds Photo Gallery
Which of these places do you like to visit in Kinson?
Finding out about the past
|This is an updated map in a series of maps to be featured on our website. This dates to the 1800`s.
It features the more central areas of Kinson.
A part of Old West Howe
|Map dates to 1839.|
Tithe map of Kinson
|Each area is divided up by name and number.
The original document is badly marked and hard to read.
The Kinson Common area c1840
|A smattering of cottages once stood alongside the
ancient lane from Poole Lane to Kinson Road. Part
of this lane still emerges from the rear of the
Kinson baths out onto Kinson Road today.
Central Kinson including Pelhams
|Pelhams is Tithe Map reference number 223 on this map.
Central Kinson including Kinson Church is also shown on this map.
A collection of ancient cottages once stood near the present Village green.
Kinson in the 1800`s
|Notice the lack of general development in the local area. |
From the bottom of the map, and in the map`s central area, a small stream flows down from the Turbary Common, through what is now the Fernheath valley, and down further into the present Kinson Common where it then flowed openly alongside Millhams Road before disappearing under ground through the Kinson churchyard before finally emerging into Millhams stream.
Isaac Gulliver`s legendary home!
|The reference number 302 on the Kinson Tithe map is Howe Lodge. John and Sarah Way, noted members of Kinson church and East Howe landowners, lived here for many years, after the time of Gulliver in Kinson.|
Sadly gone, this property was once the reputed home of Isaac Gulliver the uncrowned King of the Dorset smugglers.
The Spencer & Williams families
|Charles Spencer & Thomas Williams farmed all the
areas of Kinson, Bear Cross and the riverside
meadowland marked grey on this map.
Charles Spencer was also a respected and noted
cattle dealer who ran the Dolphin Inn. Thomas
Williams was also a man of sound reputation.
Their partnership lasted for many years and they
farmed the entire area which is now referred to as
the Kinson Common.
Old field systems from Millhams to Ensbury
|Some of the fields which once existed in profusion
near the Dorset Stour, are marked on this Kinson
Some original fields still exist around Millhams
and the Kinson manor farm areas today.
Land connected with Isaac Gulliver
|Isaac Gulliver once owned considerable property and land in the centre of Kinson.Some of the land featured in this map of central Kinson once belonged to him.
All this land was sold in 1867 by the Rev`d Henry Edmund Fryer who inherited it from his mother, Elizabeth Fryer, a daughter of Isaac Gulliver.
Itis hard to believe today that Gulliver once walked along Wimborne Road to and from his property which was Kinson House which stood almost opposite the present Kinson Conservative Club.
More modern West Howe
|An updated drawing showing developments of more modern times with some details dating back to a few centuries ago. (updated on 2nd April 2010.)|
Tiller`s Plot at East Howe
|Tiller`s Plot is marked on this map and was the
home of the Tiller family. Henry Tiller was a
convicted Kinson smuggler who took up farming
and ended his days in Kinson back in the 1850`s.
A place called Redhill
|This area was truly a common in centuries long
Bear Cross to Kinson
|This map dates to the 1830`s.|
Part of Howe farm in the 1800`s
| We now refer to this area as the Kinson Common.
Sadly, this area was never registered as common land in the past.
Kinson Common sounds far better than calling the
area "The Trinacria", a name which never caught on
back in the 1970`s.
Kinson Common boundaries
|Another Tithe boundary was recently discovered which appears to be an ancient outlet channel when cattle were grazed on the site in the 1800`s. Nos 10 & 18 on our map appear to date to a later period, possibly late 19th century to early 20th century? At least two tithe boundary remnants presently exist within the Kinson Cemetery. At present, in 2008, over 25+ tithe boundary banks still exist on or close to the Kinson Common Local Nature Reserve.|
Original land use of areas on or close to the Kinson Common
|These uses were in place before 1800`s and probably continued until the middle of the 20th century.|
Old building plan of Pelhams
|This map gives an indication of how Pelhams (Kinson Community Centre) was laid out during the time when it was a fine residential property.
Pelhams today is one of the finest Community centres in the whole of Dorset and caters for a wide range of very active users.
The wardens and staff will be happy to confirm that since this map was drawn, times have moved on with even greater improvements planned for this excellent centre in the near future.
A Plan of Pelhams
|Our latest Site Plan of Pelhams, drawn using information from an old document. Following further researches, land acreages updated on 15th April, 2008.|
In 1840, 218 was in the name of William Rolles Fryer and the land was named In Ox. In the same year, 219 was in the name of the Rev. Charles Bowle devisee of Isaac Gulliver and was also named In Ox. 225 was in the name of the Rev. Charles Bowle devisee of Isaac Gulliver, 1840.
Land near the Turbary Common
|The land featured dates to 1839. Updated, 1st April, 2010. |
Areas near the Shoulder of Mutton public house
|The Shoulder of Mutton was in existence in the early 1800`s.|
Local roads and lanes in 1839
|Most of the roads featured are in everday use now.|
Forgotten Moors in Kinson
|Ridgak or Redgate Moor is now but a memory. The last surving remnant which contains a few heathers and heath spotted orchids, is now known as Gover`s Glade.
Long Moor lives on under the names of Central Bog and Two Barrow Heath.
Ridgak or Redgate Moor drawing No. 1
|Kinson in the early 20th century.|
Ridgak or Redgate Moor drawing No. 2
|Kinson boundaries revised to c1949.|
Ridgak or Redgate Moor drawing No. 3
|Kinson in the c1960`s.|
Ridgak or Redgate Moor drawing No. 4
|In this 21st century, the only remnant now surviving of the ancient Ridgak or Redgate Moor is now known as Gover`s Glade.|
Site Boundary of the Kinson Common
|This is a detailed new map,forming part of a series now being compiled.|
Kinson Common Working Compartments
|Each working compartment, apart from Gover`s Glade, was given a specific name back in the 1980`s.
The original Kinson Common Management Committee
suggested these names and they were adopted by the Borough of Bournemouth.
Local Nature Reserve boundaries of the Kinson Common
|Unfortunately, not every area walked upon is a part of the Common or is fully protected for the future.|
Kinson Common Site of Special Scientific Interest
|This map shows the true extent of the Common`s present SSSI boundaries.
It is to be hoped that these boundaries will be revised & further extended in the future to reflect the wildlife and botanical records constantly being updated annually.
Before Kinson Cemetery
|This is a 1920`s map. There was no Main Track through the Common from near the Kinson Baths to Poole Lane. There was a track to Poole Lane via a different route.
Land around the Kinson Cemetery
|This is a present day map and the changes to the previous map can be clearly seen. Small remnants of farm buildings can be found near Two Barrow Heath.|
Kinson Common in the future
|This is how the Kinson Common Local Nature Reserve may look in the years ahead. Surveying for the future SUDS drainage schemes near the Jubilee Walkway and Great Oaks bridge, was undertaken in March of 2007.|
Present day Kinson Common
|This is our latest updated map of the Common. (Updated for 2009.)|
The Kinson Pleasure Grounds
|This is a map dating to the late 1940`s. The three barrows at the bottom of our map were excavated in 1948.
The original extent and zoning of the Kinson Cemetery is clear to see.
The Kinson Pleasure Grounds became the Trinacria and as that name was not popular with residents, the area eventually became the Kinson Common.
In more recent times, the Common was listed as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, also a Local Nature Reserve.
Comparing this map with the previous one, the Kinson Common has certainly advanced in the past 60 years for the benefit of everyone.
Old fields of Longham and Millhams
|How very different many of these areas are today.
John Potter, a Kinson smuggler, once farmed Barnes Mead. Not surprising really as Isaac Gulliver owned it.
Some names were inspired by the late and much respected Mr. Charlie Jolliffe.
And yes, Millhams Tip had not yet arrived!
Early map of Bear Wood, Cudnell and Kinson
|Our outline map dates to about 1805.|
Areas of Cudnell and Millhams
|Many changes took place when low-lying land around Millhams was raised by amenity tipping.
Original woodland in the lower section of our map survives almost intact to the present time.
Bear Wood, Cudnell and Millhams
|Outline map following amenity tipping at Millhams.
Cudnell Little Mead and Hopgardens disappeared. It would also be hard to try to trace even Barnes Mead today.
Interesting to note is the diversion of an ancient stream.
The ancient woodland which survives today is of supreme importance within the modern Bournemouth conurbation.
Kinson Common Research 2005
|Kinson Common Research 2005
In an effort to keep up to date with local research, we have reviewed information which we put together in the last few years. Much of the data collected in the past 25 years has also been rechecked.
In view of their age, many copies of documents obtained from the Public Records Office were not distinct or easily readable. This is certainly true of certain maps, Tithe Map translations and the Canford Award schedule(s) we have.
Once, we often strained our eyes for hours using umpteen lenses to read small and very indistinct writing. Now, in the digital age, small cameras no bigger than one`s palm can photograph and allow decent blow-ups of most subject matters in seconds!
Historians and researchers will often look at events in history and each will have their own view upon them. However, a good camera never lies and in our case, revealed that the word we understood to be Ridgak, written by a busy and hurrying writer two centuries ago, can, when highly magnified read as Redgate.
Having checked other sources we now are pleased to use the word Redgate. In our maps section we have altered some maps to show both names.
Having got out our research work, we have also now drawn the Canford Estate Map for the area which is now known as the Kinson Common. This dates to just after the time when smuggler Trotman died and just before Isaac Gulliver started to acquire vast areas of property and land in the Kinson area.
Although the drawing of the Kinson Tithe Map of 1839 previously allowed us to work out the layouts and sizes of old field systems, there appeared to be many more questions about other boundaries which could not then be accounted for.
We believe that our latest maps of the Kinson Common area show the truer extent of all boundaries and old field systems that originally existed. Before 1800, there appeared to be more areas of accountable land. By 1839, it can be clearly noted that in many cases,smaller areas of land were combined together to form one larger parcel.
Our featured photograph gives an indication of difficulties which researchers sometimes have. Entry 330 of the Canford Award appears to show the word Ridgak and 332 shows that the same word can be clearly interpreted as Redgate. Other field names are also being updated.
Canford Estate - Kinson Common (references)
|This map shows many of the Canford Estate references for the areas once near or close to the present day Kinson Common. These numbers or references are not identical to the later Tithe Map of Kinson (1839).|
Canford Estate - Kinson Common (land use)
|This map shows the agricultural uses each parcel of land was put to over 236 years ago.|
Canford Estate - Kinson Common (Acreage)
|This map shows the original acreages of fields over two centuries ago.|
Canford Estate - Kinson Common (field names)
|This map shows many of the original field names in use over two centuries ago. The road on the right hand side of our map is now known as Kinson Road. On the Canford Estate map it was then clearly marked as Poole Lane!
Reference 312 informs us that this was Kinson Lane Close, suggesting that from 312 - 183 was originally Kinson Lane and not Poole Lane as we know it today?
Original Pelhams in Kinson
|Our map shows what is believed to be the original layout of Pelhams. Also shown is the site of the Sloop Inn. (Updated: 22nd December 2008).|
Pelhams in Kinson 1830`s
|The area around Pelhams has already changed considerably.|
Pelhams in Kinson 1901
|Our outline map shows the layout of Pelhams when it was owned and lived in by the Rev`d A. M. Sharp.|
Turbary Common (West Howe) in the 18th Century
|This map shows some of the original parcels of land close to the location of the present day Turbary Common in Bournemouth. Much of the land between Ringwood and Wallisdown Roads used to be known as Bankes Heath.|
Turbary Common, West Howe, Bournemouth - Present Day
|Many changes have taken place over several centuries. What survives of the precious ancient heathland is now owned and managed by Bournemouth Borough Council for conservation and recreational purposes. Ponies now graze on the site.|
From Northbourne to Ensbury Park
|This is a small portion of the Kinson Tithe Map dating to c1839. Isaac Gulliver once owned Ensbury Field, also more land towards the modern day Ensbury Park area. 965 was 2.5 acres of tithe-free heathland, also owned by him, which once fronted the track or lane which eventually became Howeth Road. |
This page has been visited times.