Found a stray Cat
In order to establish whether the cat is owned and likes to roam or whether it has been abandoned and therefore can be found a new home, you need to take the following steps:
(1) First thing to do is ask around to see if anybody knows who owns the cat(if possible, take a photo of the cat which can be shown around.
(2) Check your local area to see if there are any notices been displayed about a missing cat.(You can yourself put up notices with the cats details.
(3) Check with vets, cat protection etc to see if there has been any reports of missing cats, but check with us at Herts & Essex Petsearch as we may have a owner waiting for that phone call.
(4) If the cat is friendly, try putting a paper collar around its neck with the words: ' IS THIS YOUR CAT' Plus a contact Number. You may use our phone number if you wish 01279 320511.
(5) Log what steps you have taken to locate the owner and as long as you can prove that all reasonable steps have been taken and no owner has come forward, then you can go ahead to rehome the cat.
(6) If you find that the cat is not very friendly and plus the cat may have given birth in your garden, then try to make it comfortable by providing shelter, food and water or cat milk(not human milk!!!). If this is the case, then cat protection should be informed who will then give you advice.