Abram to c1878
|“ABRAM - This small agricultural township, the parish originally called Adburgham, and afterwards Abraham, gave name to an ancient family of landowners, of whom Richard de Edburgham, who held four bovates of land, by gift of Henry II, in fee farm, by a rent ofl four shillings, and of those four bovates the third part was given in alms. A descendant, Gilbert de Abram about the reign of Henry IV, had a daughter, Cecily, married to Robert Hindeley, and John Abraham, of Abraham, whose daughter and heir married James Holt, of Grizlehurst, about the reign of Henry V. In the proceedings of an inquisition taken at Wigan, March 28, 1627, before John Bridgman Bishop of Chester, and rector of Wigan, and other "commissioners ad pios usus” it is found that “diverse yeares since Mary Abraham of Abraham in the parish of Wigan did lend unto Miles Gerrard late of Ince Esqr. the some of Fowrescorc Powndes in trust for the use of a free school to be erected in Hindly." [The school was superseded a few years ago by a new school at Hindley, endowed with £30 a year.] There are in this township several ancient houses: Abram Hall once a moated brick mansion, existing in the time of Henry VI; Bamfurlong, or Bromforlong, a wood, plaster, and brick building, of an age contemporaneous with it, where formerly existed an ancient Catholic chapel, long disused; Bickershaw Hall until late years a moated massive brick house, with approach by a gateway and bridge. In pulling down the gateway some years since three celts, or ancient British war weapons, were discovered. The Episcopal chapel of St. John the Baptist was consecrated June 9, 1838, and in February, 1864, became a separate parish, under the provisions of Lord Blandford’s Act. It consists of a nave, with aisles and chancel, and western turret containing one bell. There is a stained glass window in mcmory of Helen, wife of the Rev. John James Dixon, incumbent, 1839-73. The living is a vicarage, of the yearly value of £170, of which the Rev. Hewett Linton (1878) is the present incumbent; patron, the rector of Wigan.”
Edward Baines, “The History of the County Palatine and Duchy of Lancaster”, published 1891, written c1878.