First Month Training Assignment for Building Control Officers
TRAINEE BUILDING CONTROL OFFICER
STRUCTURED TRAINING PROGRAMME
MODULE TITLE: Identify and determine actions on statutory requirements.
To demonstrate an understanding of the role of the Building Control Surveyor and the role of the Approved Inspector.
To demonstrate an understanding of the systems in place for the notification of people when applications are necessary and the methods of monitoring appropriate information.
To demonstrate an understanding of the procedures for following up initial enquiries and the methods of publicising information and the role of building control.
To demonstrate an understanding of the legislation and policies in place.
To research, prepare and submit a portfolio of evidence showing the range of understanding and knowledge gained during the assignment.
The portfolio will cover the content of month one in the training plan.
All work should be submitted to your Manager on an A4 format with all sections clearly categorised, marked and fully referenced.
The length of the assignment should be approximately 2000 words.
1. You receive an enquiry by telephone from Mrs Thomas, of 14 Sackville Street Colne. She asks you what she needs to do to erect a front porch about 3m x 3m x 3m high.
Write to Mrs Thomas explain the procedures, regulations, charges and time-scales involved. In your letter explain Building Regulations and Planning requirements and enclose any relevant information such as leaflets.
2. What legislation would be involved if Mrs Thomas had only a 2m wide front garden, but the porch was 3m wide and long? What advice would you give her?
3. What sort of constructional details would be needed for the foundations, walls, door, windows and roof of the porch?
4. What would be the implications if one wall of the porch was on the boundary with 12 Sackville Street? What would be your advice to Mrs Thomas?
5. Mrs Thomas also says that she is installing new windows and a new front door, what advice can you include in your letter about this type of work?
6. What sort of applications/permissions do you think will be needed by Mrs Thomas?
7. Two weeks later you receive a call from the neighbour of Mrs Thomas saying that a building is going on and what are you going to do about it? What is the appropriate course of action in accordance with legislation and policy?
8. Write to Mrs Williams the neighbour at No 12 explaining the situation.
9. You receive an Initial Notice for the porch, what is your course of action and what legislation is appropriate?
10. Write to the Approved Inspector to explain the situation.