**NEW THIS MONTH**
Can You Identify These People?
St Peters School 1972 onwards
Brotton Old School
Brotton County Modern School
Warsett Secondary School
Badger Hill Primary School
Brotton Working Mens Club
St Peters Church
St Margarets CofE Church
Primitive Methodist Chapel
St Anthonys RC Church
Brotton Cottage Hospital
The White House
Rear High Street
Brotton (Morrisons) Ironstone Mine
Lumpsey Ironstone Mine
Kilton Ironstone Mine
Huntcliffe Ironstone Mine
Craggs Hall Ironstone Mine
Cliffe Ironstone Mine
Skinningrove Ironstone Mine
North Skelton Ironstone Mine
Other Local Mines
Local Heroes - Mary Jarred
Local Heroes - Derek Mclean
Local Heroes - Charles Robinson Sykes
Local Heroes - Henry Alexander Cooper
The Grand Cinema / Hall
Arthur Norman Harker
Joseph Edward Huntrods - Photographer
Clubs and Groups
Baptisms A - C St Margaret's
Baptisms D - F St Margaret's
Baptisms G - I St Margaret's
Baptisms J - L St Margaret's
Baptisms M - P St Margaret's
Baptisms Q - T St Margaret's
Baptisms U - Z St Margaret's
Celebrations / Parties
Family Stories - Taberner Family
Willow Drive & Linden Road Airey Houses
The Station Hotel
Public Houses & Inns - The Shoemakers Arms
Public Houses & Inns - The Green Tree
Public Houses & Inns - The Queens Arms
Public Houses & Inns - The Royal
Public Houses & Inns -The Ship
Public Houses & Inns - The Station
Public Houses & Inns - The Crown
Scouts, Guides, Brownies etc
Holidays & Days Out
Sport - Football
Tarmac Roadstone Ltd
Paddy Waddle's Railway
Pear Tree Cottage
Womens Institute & Mothers Union
Medals & Awards
Links for Brotton History
St Peters Church
|Opened on the 14th June 1778, St Peter's Church once stood on the Highest point in Brotton, and was a well known landmark. It was demolished in August 1957.
It was located on Kilton Lane, but all that now remains is the Cemetery.
Photograph Kindly contributed by Paula Miller (nee Rix)
|View of the Church from Kilton Lane
The Original Church in Brotton Was situated on Kilton Lane and built about 1120 AD.
Many churches in the area were destroyed in 1765 and it is thought that the third church (pictured above) was built in 1778.
Records have identified a beautiful gravestone in the shape of a cross bearing the dates 1130-1145.
Church Records still in existence include a church wardens account book dating back to 1770.
One account reads "The Church cost £265 - 11s - 10d
Other items still in existence:
A church register dating back to 1641.
A chalice given by Madame Jane Thweng of Kilton Castle in 1681.
The bells from the belfry. These are now in the porch of St Margaret's Church. One bears the date 1778, and the other bears an inscription in Latin which translated means "Thomas de Wald Made Me".
As Brotton grew in size a larger church was needed. St Margaret of Antioch Church was built further down the hill and St Peters became a Mortuary Chapel.
St Peters Church was vandalised and became unsafe it was demolished in 1958.
Information and photograph above contributed by Jeff Lawson
|Tuesday 27th August 1957
"On a site on which three churches have stood in a village mentioned in the Domesday Book"...that is St. Peters Church, Brotton And now it is being demolished some intriguing discoveries have been made.
|On a site on which at least three churches have stood, and a village mentioned in the Domesday Book, interesting finds are expected in the work of demolishing the old church of St. Peter, Brotton, a well known landmark.
Among the first by the workmen, at present tearing down the building is the uncovering of a large marble slab lying at the east end of the building, and close to where the alter formerly stood.
Some two yards away, the removal of the stone flags which constituted the church floor, has revealed a subsidence, and yesterday as a colleague watched, workmen cleared this sufficiently to see an underground passage leading towards the alter.
There is an underground archway but the passage is bricked up, and running parallel along the south wall of the church, is an underground stone wall indicating the passage may be of some length.
|The crest on the marble slab is clear although the inscription has suffered from the passage of time. From the word deciphered, it is the blue marble murial monument referred to by J. Walker Ord, in his "History of Cleveland".
He writes that the monument states:
"Sacred to the memory of William Tullie, of Kilton Esq, who departed this life 26th May, 1741, aged 72, ans is interred underneath. He married Ann, sole daughter and heiress of Thomas Thweng, of Kilton Castle, Esq, by whom he left no issue; she died September 7th, 1719, and is buried inn the same vault as her husband."
he rest records that it was erected by Joseph Tullie of Kilton.
No further work will be done on this particular spot until the Rector of Brotton (The Rev. K.E. Nelson) returns from holiday next week.
Clippings taken from the scrapbooks of the late Mr A.N. Harker.
|Newspaper Clipping - Unknown Date
The Church of St. Peter's, Brotton, which is being demolished, now has only the tower standing, and recently the two bells where removed, one dated 1778, the year the church was opened. The other bell has no date on it, but bears the inscription that it was made by Thomas de Wald. The Rev. K.E. Nelson, Rector of Brotton, has been doing some research in an effort to estasblish its age. He finds that Thomas de Wald was working in the 14th century, and apparently made a fair number of bells, most of which are in the East Riding churches, though Mr Nelson knows of at least on other in the North Riding.
It is known that St. Peters Church was the third to stand on the site, and the old bell no doubt was first used in in of the earlier churches.
|This is the Bell dated 1778 that was removed from the tower of St Peter's Church. It can now be seen in the entrance of St Margaret's Church.
Photograph provided by Mrs Linda Fox (Nee Riddiough).
Thomas de Wald Bell
|This is the Bell made by Thomas de Wald. It is thought it dates back to the 14th century. It was removed from the tower of St Peter's Church. It can now be seen in the entrance of St Margaret's Church.Photograph provided by Mrs Linda Fox (Nee Riddiough)
Workmen were today busy on the demolition of the Old St Peter's Church, Brotton. One of the best known landmarks in Cleveland, and visible for many miles both by land and sea.
The Church was built in 1778 and is the third to stand on the site. It has not been used for some years, the parishioners now worshipping at Brotton St. Margaret's Parish Church. During the time it has stood empty St. Peter's Church has been a target for vandals. The stained glass windows have been smashed and the roof has been damaged, and it was decided to demolish it before it became dangerous.
The interior of the church has now been cleared and today work began in taking off the roof of the stone built building.
One of the findings has been a board erected in the building commemorating the opening and stating that it was "build by direction of Francis Easterby at the expense of the freeholders and opened June 14th 1778 by the Rev. John Parrington.
The Church was built at a cost of £265-11s-0d. Among the items still to be removed are the two old bells in the church tower.
In recent years there have been attempts to raise money to preserve the building, but these met with little response. The demolition of the building is nevertheless causing a feeling of great regret among the older residents in the village. The faculty for demolition was granted in December 1953.
Well Known Landmark
|This is a photogrpah of St Margaret's Church, but St Peter's can be seen in the distance on top of the hill.Photograph Kindly contributed by Mrs K Chester, Brotton
Then & Now
|St Peters Church & Cemetery as it was in 1930's
|how it looks now - taken from the same spot.