Brotton House was built in the 1780s by a wealthy shipowner and master mariner from South Shields. He married a local Brotton woman from the Webster family who ran the Green Tree Inn. Their son, George Webster Carlen, lived here too in the early nineteenth century.
Brotton House was a Private School in the 1900's The Photograph was taken when it was the school and shows Mrs Wright & Mrs Henrietta Chapman at the gate. The room to the right of the door was Miss Byrne's room and the room upstairs on the left was Miss Johnson's room.
Information provided By Mr Tony Nicholson & Mrs Kath Chester, Photograph provided by Mrs Chester.