GRANGETOWN IN TIMES PAST
St Marys School
Mick Traynor - Boer War Recruit + Others
Streets and Buildings
World War One 1914 -18
Parish, Priests and Processions
Street Stories + Characters
1925 Ladies Parish Outing + More
A Tale from the Duckie + other stories
World War Two 1939 - 45
Messages from Home & Abroad
Shops and Shopkeepers
The World of Work
Upstairs and Downstairs...
The Board School
Pochin Road Infants School
Leisure & Sports
Grangetown Boys' Club
Sir Wm Worsley School
Maps, Plans & Aerial Photos
St Peter's Senior School
St Matthew's Parish
Eston Grammar School
Trolley Buses TRTB
Grangetown Methodist Church
Contact Information for Grangetown in Times Past
Links for Grangetown in Times Past
|Map c 1850
From the maps of the 1850’s, Eston Junction appears to be one of the named older parts of the South Bank area and Eston Junction Station does appear on the maps of the time.
At this time the iron works is called Eston Iron Works not Cleveland Iron Works as it became later and appears to have no blast furnaces of the gigantic size we see much later in 1895.
Clay Lane Farm exists and this gives us a pointer to the amount of development, which took place after this – some years before the complete development of the whole of Branch End.
Alongside Eston Iron Works across the branch line to the west and facing the railway line to the north lies a row of cottages called Furnace Row.
This row appears to be situated almost on the same spot as the later Branch End cottages depicted on the map of 1895 but known in the Census Records of 1861 as Eston Junction.
According to the Census Records of 1861, Eston Junction. consisted of: -
The Cleveland Hotel, The National School, eight railway cottages, four farmhouses, four Iron Works Cottages and four rows of cottages named as:
No 3 Row: - 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 76, 77, 78,
No 2 Row: : - 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, and 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40,
No 1 Row: : - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20,
No 4 Row: : - 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 (Mechanics Institute reading room), 68
The buildings appear to be occupied essentially according to the status of those concerned with the ironworks itself:
The Cleveland Hotel contains furnace managers, agents, railway clerks, horse keepers and engine smiths and the railway cottages - railwaymen of all kinds – engine drivers, timekeepers, signalmen, firemen and railway labourers.
The farmhouses and ironworks cottages contain farm labourers, horse keepers, engine firemen, brick and tile makers and labourers.
The four rows contain iron furnace keepers, iron moulders, grocers, furnace fillers, blacksmiths, boiler smiths, engine smiths, firemen, iron works fitters and labourers, limestone breaker fillers, bricklayers and joiners, an iron inspector at No. 65 and manager at No. 68.
Over thirty years later and now called Branch End on this map of 1895, we can see Railway Terrace - presumably the cottages of 1861 still standing; and the School - which perhaps became the basis for the Technical School familiar to some of us from our past as we walked by it on the way to South Bank; and the Cleveland Hotel named as a public house in the northern section.
The ironopolis football field lies nearby - a ground of considerable renown in its early days where entertaining cricket matches were played out against the backdrop of the gigantic black furnaces which towered over the village.
Here is a list of family names of the 1861 period
Herbert, Jackson, Davis, Edwards, Mithi, Morgan, Clan, Freman, Goodwin, McCra, Lewis, Morris, Sockelt, Eaton, Clifford, Murphy, Stapleton, Allen, Wood, Breen, Morris, Williams, Arnison, Honroyd, Kilcollin, O Brien, Runihan, Webb, Jones, Ridgway, Clarke, Gollogly, Bennet, Cureton, Davis, Shuckford, Peters, Smith, Keinan, Storray?, Anderson?, Bird, Doolay, Duffy, Winsley, Hasbourne, McCann, Roberts, Roberts, Butler, Cassell, Ledbetter, Barry, Conner, McArdle, Hickey, Roderick, Slattery, Jones, Steel, Thomas, Clafton, Harrison, Telay, Badget,Jarvis, Parsons, English, McGeeny, McPatrick, Russell, Griffiths,Thomas, Halfpenny, Hand, Storri, Halfpenny, Johnson, Cockren, Jones, Ragsdale, Rees, Delaney, Morris, Scullon, Shirling, Hooper, Bowen, Jones, Walker, Peacock, Smith, James, McNeilly, Peairs, Stevinson, Hagan, Hargraves, Pollard, Donnelly, Pepper, Naylor, Pogson, Ward, Miriam, Pearce, Sutton, Pepper, Lonsdale, Hey, Foster, Graham, Studholme, Thomas, Pepper, Skelton, Davis, Williams, Broadbury, Metcalfe, Wilkinson, Hutton, Nicholson, Dodsworth, Johnson, Green, Shaw, Stockdale, Harris, Hill, Robinson, Fairbrass, Matthews, Maikuick, Pell, Dawson, Hawksby, Hurd, Taylor, Moore.
Eston Junction Map 1895
|Eston Junction Map 1895
In 1881 Eston Junction lists 88 dwellings and my Great Grandfather John Mannix, born in Middlesbrough, a labourer in the Iron Works, is living in No 56 aged 26 with his wife Margaret aged 24 with their two children Patrick and Thomas – each born in Eston (and I presume this meant in the house in which they are living in Eston Junction) along with five boarders and one servant aged 14. Boarders are James Loughran aged 27 and Arthur Loughran aged 37 from Tyrone, William Millan aged 40 from Cork, Edgar Laven aged 24 from Mayo and William Louney aged 23 from Mayo.
Just for the record starting with No 1, the families who occupy Eston Junction at this time (1881)- not including lodgers - are the families of:-
Morris, Keefe, Watson, Thomas, Halfpenny, Close, Buck, Stock, Coleman, Ward, Williams, Brooks, Mohan,Wiliams, Goodwin, Hewitt, Winn, Ross, Kellett, Murray, Callaghan, McAleer, Shaughnessy, Quinn, McKenna, McCabe, Dunn, Calvy, McCarthy, Holland, Connor, Barry, Dempsey, Hughes, Smith, Weight, Cake, Spence, Watson, Russell, Kerr, Mohan, McCardle, Briggs, Reardon, Keenan, Smith, Meskill, Burns, McGowan, Ball, Lincham, Daley, Magnier, Russell, Manix, Quinn, French, McCleary, Bennett, Jones, Turner, Johnson, Kennedy, Simpson, Wotherspoon, Longstaffe, Newby, Grassham, Nelson, McCaul, Connell, Kranter, McCarthy, Dooley, Handley, Hand, Burns, McCracken, Jones, Gatenby, Flynn, Readman, Loughran, Fox, Smith, Maloney and finally at No 88 is Welsh.
The Kirton family occupies Eston Junction Cottage and Longstaffe is the Innkeeper of the Cleveland Hotel.
The Hewitt and Hambly families live in the Office cottages and James Rider at Eston Station as a Railway Agent.
Clay Lane Cottages are occupied by the familes of Smith, Bunting, Smith, Medd, and Alfred Clayton Hill is the Manager of the Ironworks and living in Stapylton Villas.
Branch End in the Early Days
|Branch End in the Early Days - courtesy of Craig Hornby|
Branch End Women in the Early days
|Branch End Women - courtesy of Craig Hornby|
Goalpost Kids in Early Days
|Goalpost Kids in Early Days - courtesy of Craig Hornby|
Graffiti Kids in Early Days
|Graffiti Kids in Early Days - courtesy of Craig Hornby |
Jim Brooks on little bike
|Jim Brooks on little bike|
Jim Brooks on big bike
|Jim Brooks on big bike|
Jim Brooks and brother or friend?
|Jim Brooks and brother or friend?|
Mrs Brooks at Branch End
|Mrs Brooks at Branch End|