Murray Engine Works
The Round School
The DLI & Chester
Gt. North Road
The Great Flood
CAN YOU HELP?
Shrove Tuesday Football
Donald O Clarke
A Brief History
Murder at Mill
Vincent "Bush" Parker
The Cestrian Club
A Dastardly Deed
The Lumley Warriors
CLS Cricket Club
Meet the Members
WOOLWORTHS - End of an Era
NEWS & EVENTS
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES
100 Years Ago
Links for Chester-le-Street Heritage Group
Would you like to see a Heritage Centre in Chester-le-Street
Chester-le-Street Cricket Club
|The first recorded match was held in 1834, Chester-le-Street Club against Durham City, with the winners to receive ten shillings prize money.
The match was rained off, but was at a later date replayed at Plawsworth for increased prize money. No available information as to who won the money.
|The Club House being extended - 2008.
The first Chester-le-Street cricket ground, in 1866, was in Mordue's field, Crown Farm Ropery Lane - the town by-pass now runs through the middle of the field.
The next ground was on the site of the present Red Rose Terrace. The move to the present location in Ropery Lane was in 1886. Records show that in 1876 Durham City were all out for 9 runs!
In 1892 Chester-le-Street won the County Challenge Cup beating Bishop Auckland in the final, thus gaining a place in the Durham County Senior League, Northern Division. In 1893 this division consisted of Chester le Street, Philadelphia, North Durham, South Shields, Sunderland and Whitburn.
|CCC Durham League Father & Son players 1920
L/R - J. Swinhoe (Father) T.W. Swinhoe (Son) J.K. Bewick (Father) G.S. Bewick (Son), A.W. Gowland (Father), C.F. Gowland (Son).
Following a spell in the Tyneside Senior League in 1908 Chester-le-Street transferred to the Durham Senior League, they lost their first game which was with Durham City by 3 runs.
In 1920 and 1922 the 1st X1 won the league. Players were each presented with solid gold medals, provided from Public subscription.
In 1927, Durham County played New Zealand at Ropery Lane, and subsequent 1st class visitors have included Surrey, Yorkshire, Worcestshire, Essex and Nottinghamshire. Test class visitors have been South Africa and Pakistan.
The Ropery Lane ground was purchased in 1948 when the president Colonel J. Turnbull, doubled the amount raised by members, to provide the £1000 purchase price.
At a general meeting in 1957, by a majority of one vote, it was agreed to provide a bar in the club. Takings for the first full year 1958, were £1,058.00.
The old Pavilion.
A two-story pavilion, built in 1904, to replace the original single wooden structure was demolished in 1966 and replaced with the current building, some walls of the old building were retained within the new building. Cost was £17,000. The lounge extension was added in 1972.
Over a two year period notable professionals have included local cricketers Jackie Keeler and Russell Inglis, Indian test cricketer Dilip Doshi and Pakistani Wasim Raja. Indians Santosh Jedhe and Mandar Sane have been club professioinals.
The 1st XI were Senior League champions in 1920, 1922, 1969, 1980, 1981 and 1983.
Since 1962 they have been runners up seven times, the latest being in 1999, their last season in the Durham Senior League. The 2nd XI have won the Senior League Championship on nine occasions.
Thanks to past Chairman J.H. Ward, for supplying this brief history of the Club.
This page has been visited times.