The Refounded Company
Events open to the Public
20th Century Past Masters of the Company
21st Century Past Masters of the Company
The Cordwainers and the 2010 Mystery Plays
The old Cordwainers Hall in Hungate
New Master 2011/2012
Charter Weekend 2010
Court of Assistants 2009 - 2010
The Company of Cordwainers of the City of York
|PLEASE SEE OUR NEW WEBSITE, LAUNCHED JULY 2012 AT:
The Company is one of the seven York Guilds in existence in the early 21st century. The Guilds, founded in the medieval period or earlier have retained traditions that stretch back into the mists of time and add greatly to the rich pattern of life in the City of York.
Cordwainers were shoemakers and derived their name from the Spanish city of Cordova, which manufactured the finest leather from goat's skins. This is recognised in the Company Arms of three goat's heads, with a fourth as a crest.
In the past the Cordwainers, in common with the other Guilds, had key roles both in the governing of the City, maintenance of trade standards, training apprentices and taking lead roles in social and religious activities, such as the Mystery Plays.
During the 18th century the importance of the Guilds declined and about 1808 the Cordwainers disbanded, their records and treasures finding their way into the Minster collections. The Company was refounded in 1977.