WHERE IS HOWDEN - LE - WEAR ?????
Church and Chapels
Railway at Howden-le-Wear
Streets and Shops
HOWDEN CHURCH CLOSED
ST MARY'S CHURCH PROJECT ENDS
HOWDEN VILLAGE HISTORY PHOTOGRAPHS BOOK
TRADITIONAL CRAFTS GROUP
Contact Information for Howden-le-Wear Local History Society
Links for Howden-le-Wear Local History Society
Streets and Shops
| Bridge Street used to be the busiest street in Howden with up to twelve shops trading there. originally the street was developed 'piecemeal' ie. buildings were built either individually or in short blocks. The differing roof lines are an indication of this, whereas, in contrast it appears the majority of High Street was built in uniform blocks of houses and shops - regular roof lines and symmetrical structures.
Bridge Street was the major trading street.
No. 5 was once the home of Miss Nelson, Pianoforte Teacher and Mr. Harry Nelson sold greengrocery and fish from a horse and cart.
Nos. 6 & 7 were the Bridge End Garage belonging to Mr & Mrs Calvert. Three petrol pumps delivered fuel ( Regular, Super and Super Plus ) over the pavement to the road side. Findlay and Wilks took over in in the 1950's before opening a new garage near Jubilee Park on 13th. April 1962.
No.8 was Mrs. Armstrong's Drapery Shop and her husband owned one of the first motor cars in the village, using it for a taxi service. This property remains in business use as Anne Conway's hairdressing business.
No.12 was originally a butchers shop then drapers and finally coblers - it is now a private residence.
Harry Dobson traded at No.15 - shoe shop, records and gramophones - now a private house.
After WW2, Bill Bull and his wife Hilda lived at No.18, Bill had a Dance band and Taxi Service, - now a private house.
No.19 once was a Butchers Shop - now private residence.
No.21 belonged to Mary Jane Turnbull,- who began her business in High Street - became a village legend. She had a newsagency and sold almost anything imaginable, the shop ( and house )used to be stacked high with merchandise of all descriptions. If times were hard she would sell you 'one fag ( cigarette ) and two matches' for twopence. After her retirement in 1962, it changed hands several times before finally closing and becoming a private residence.
Opposite Mary Jane's, at the bottom of Bridge Street, Crook COOP opened a branch with Manager's House next door - warehouse and stables were built adjacent in Station Road. All of this property has now been turned over to domestic use.
Adjoining Bridge Street Methodist Chapel, Nos.31 & 32 were once Miss Stitt's Drapery Store, established in 1866 she also dealt in china, wallpapers and local view post cards. Gatenby Fryer later had a Greengrocers shop here - now private dwellings.
Next door was once a Barbers and later a Ladies Fashions Shop - now a private house.
William Parkin's Sweet shop was at No.33
and No.34 was Gent's Fish Shop - both now private houses.
No.37 was originally a detached double fronted property and Drapers Shop, later to become Bell's Bakery - now private residence.
In the vacant space between No.37 and Gibsons at the end of the street, Walter Willson's established a Grocery Shop. This changed to be the village Fish & Chip Shop and remains so to this day ( 2006 )
Gibsons established the final block of property Nos. 40 & 41 trading as Cabinet Makers, Wheelwrights & Undertakers with the front shop retailing Hardware - It remains as the family home and original premises of Gibson's Funeral Services - the shop is now a reception area and business office, the old traditional upstairs joiners workshop now un-used.
Bridge Street was, as can be imagined, a very lively and vibrant street with many businesses operating, it was the 'main' street of the village, now, only three businesses operate there.
|In contrast, High Street was more residential although several businesses were established there.
No.41 began as Granny Parkin's Sweet Shop, taken over by Storey's as General Dealer then in 1951 by Harry & Peggy Waggott with Drapers Shop next door. In 1973 Bentley Peart acquired the businesses then Mr & Mrs Patel took over and now trade as a SPAR Shop, Newsagent, Off Licence and Post Office.
The only other shop still trading in High Street is the Butchers, formerly Balmer's now Chamber's.
At various earlier times, there were a Boot & Shoe Cobbler's Shop at No.51 - later moved to No.8; a seperate Post Office, a Fish Shop and a General Dealers Shop at No.18 - these are now all private dwellings.
Other Village Shops
|At various times, individual shops have traded in other parts of the village.
Over the years, premises at the top of Church Street have been used for many businesses - general dealers, hardware and oil, hairdressing, bookmakers, fruit & vegetable, and electrical goods. It is now a General Dealers and Off Licence, managed by Mr & Mrs Cass.
There was a further shop in Church Street ( Madam Pauper's ) one in_ Railway Street No 12 ( Mrs Bales' Sweet Shop ) and one at the corner of Hargill Road No.38 ( Mrs Fleet - Mr Bert Dunn - George & Rhoda Dunn - Andrea Taylor ) now a private house.
This list is far from complete and the History Society Book, 'Beechburn for Howden-le-Wear' gives much more detail of Streets & Shops in the village. However, this brief summary does indicate some of the changes that have occurred over the years.
Old Business Adverts
|Many shops used leaflets, posters and flyers to advertise their businesses - these were a few used in Howden-le-Wear.|
Mary Janes & more
|Bells Bakery Shop became well known throughout the area for its home-baked bread & cakes. The bakery was actually in a seperate building to the rear of the shop, across the back street.|
|Howden CO-OP was a branch of Crook CO-OP and was quite a large store at the bottom of Bridge Street with adjacent warehouse,stables & manager's house. |
G. Parkin & son
|Mr Parkin was a bespoke tailor who lived in Howden and offered his services from his home. He also had premises in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.|
Gent's Fish Shop
|Fish Shops seemed to have been popular businesses as quite a few are recorded at different times in different village locations.|
Business Premises still operating in 2007
|There have been considerable changes over the years, however some premises remain in business use.
Walter Willson's at Nos. 38 & 39 Bridge Street originally filled the space between Bell's Bakery and Gibson's Hardware/Joiners.
When Walter Willson's moved, this shop became a fish shop and with several owners over the years, Bert Dunn,Verne Cooper, George Wailes & others, to mention a few, remains the village Fish & Chip Shop.
A Prominant High Street Store
|Originally 'Granny' Parkins sweet shop, No.41 was taken over by Storey's as general dealers then in 1951 it was acquired by Mr & Mrs Waggott who continued the shop, with a Drapers shop next door. The shop was enlarged several times and Harry Waggott pioneered 'Self Service' to the area. In 1973 Mr Bentley Peart took over. It became part of the SPAR chain and now Mr Patel trades here. It is now also the village Post Office. |
Old established business remains in Bridge Street
|Gibson's have traded here since 1860. Although the nature of the business has changed over the years to accommodate requirements. In the early days, cartwrighting/wheelwright was a major part of the work with cabinet making and undertaking in the upstairs workshops. The shop sold furniture, wallpaper, paint and general hardware until in 1996 the hardware DIY shop closed and the premises adapted for Funeral Directing.|