WHERE IS HOWDEN - LE - WEAR ?????
Church and Chapels
Railway at Howden-le-Wear
Streets and Shops
HOWDEN CHURCH CLOSED
ST MARY'S CHURCH PROJECT ENDS
HOWDEN VILLAGE HISTORY PHOTOGRAPHS BOOK
TRADITIONAL CRAFTS GROUP
Contact Information for Howden-le-Wear Local History Society
Links for Howden-le-Wear Local History Society
|The first day school in Howden-le-Wear was a charity elementary school opened by the Non-Conformists Church. The Wesleyan Day School was opened on the 18th August 1856 and provided education for the village and surrounding area. It was held in the Sunday School Rooms, High Street, more recently sold and converted into a private dwelling.
This continued as the only means of education until 1887 when the Bedburn Board had the Howden-le-Wear Board School built.
The numbers of children on the registers depended a great deal on the availability of work in the region. When the coal mines were operating there was a great influx of scholars but, as collieries closed people sought employment elsewhere and the numbers of pupils dropped considerably.
Absenteeism was a major problem. Very often they were of a serious nature due to an epidemic. The epidemics were so severe on many occasions that the whole school had to close. The weather also determined attendance, very often during the winter months the surrounding roads were impassable. The dark days also often enforced early closure because the oil lamps gave insufficient light.
Lack of heating also often enforced closure. The local schools relied upon local coal mines providing the coal for heating the stoves and fires. When miners went on strike,coal was not delivered. Lessons were often taken in very cold conditions and on occasions the children were sent home.
Alterations and Additions
In 1935 alterations and additions were made to the school building. Extra classrooms were built.
The school was still heated by solid fuel,with an open fireplace in the Reception Class.
Generally children acquired all of their education at one school. The more academic pupils were transfered to Crook Tops or Wolsingham Grammar School depending whether their parents agreed. Many families could not afford this extra expense and required their child to find employment in order to supplement the family income.
As new Education Acts were introduced education was only provided to the age of eleven. The older children were then transfered to Hunwick Secondary Modern School or if they passed the two parts of the "Eleven Plus Examination", they became eligble for a place at Wolsingham Grammar School.
With the introduction of the Comprehensive System children transfer to the Secondary School of their choice.
As new teaching methods were introduced and class sizes were made smaller, more classroom provision was required. When the school house was no longer required by the Headmaster, the ground floor was used as extra classroom space, and the upstairs rooms provided extra storage space.
In 1970 a prefabricated building was erected in the school yard to accommodate two classes.
A new school
|In 1974 a completely new school was built on a part of the school field.|
School Staff of the 1940s
Herbert Mills,Bob Marsden,Robert Naylor (head)
Miss Wearmouth Miss Elizabeth Heslop
Miss Louisa May Miss Minnie Proud
Polly Gardner Miss Cooper
School Football Team in the 1950s
Mr Jimmy Savage proudly shows off his School Football Team.
Jim Coates Roger Oliver Donald Gibson Allan Pratt Alan Catchpole Lawrence Clark Arnold Marshall Lester Aisbett Edward Lowther Albert Pratt Gordon Hansome Tommy Wright
A Class of Infants in The Old School 1960/61
Mr Harold Moore (headteacher) and Miss Ellis with some Infant Children in a classroom
- complete with open fireplace - at the old school.
Miss Heslop presenting a prize to one of the schoolchildren ( Janet King ).
This was followed by presentations from Mr Moore (headmaster)to Miss Heslop, to mark her retirement after 46 years teaching at the school.
A tea set and cake stand were also presented to Mrs E A Patton who retired after many years service as school canteen cook in the old W.I.Hall.
Mr E Liddle (attendance officer) is also present at the ceremony.