WHERE IS HOWDEN - LE - WEAR ?????
Church and Chapels
Railway at Howden-le-Wear
Streets and Shops
HOWDEN CHURCH CLOSED
ST MARY'S CHURCH PROJECT ENDS
HOWDEN VILLAGE HISTORY PHOTOGRAPHS BOOK
TRADITIONAL CRAFTS GROUP
Contact Information for Howden-le-Wear Local History Society
Links for Howden-le-Wear Local History Society
The Railway at Howden-le-Wear
As with many County Durham towns and villages, expansion and development didn't really happen until the arrival of an efficient way of transporting the natural wealth of the region - coal and other minerals. The Stockton and Darlington Railway Company built the first railway into Howden-le-Wear in 1842. The branch from Bishop Auckland to Crook was opened for freight on 19th April 1842 then for passengers on 8th November 1843. The link finally closed on 5th July 1965 when Dr. Beeching wielded his axe.
Site of old railway at Howden-le-Wear
The whole area has since been in-filled and landscaped by Durham County Council using waste from nearby colliery tip heaps. This view of the site of the old railway to Crook has changed considerably since reclamation.
Beechburn for Howden-le-Wear
The old station at Howden-le-Wear.
The footbridge is now at Beamish Open Air Museum.
The Station Master's house, on the left, had a S&DR ceramic plaque J2.set into the outer wall.
The Station Site in 2006
The general region was 'Beechburn', and originally there were two railway stations, one at Howden and the other close to High Beechburn ( Greenhead ). The 'Beechburn Station soon closed and the name added to Howden-le-Wear, the larger of the two villages - this also prevented any ambiguity with other 'Howdens' as on Tyneside or Humberside hence -
BEECHBURN for HOWDEN -le- WEAR became the railway station name.
Railway & Village 1861
|A copy extracted from an 1861 Map of Howden.
It appears that the full ' le-Wear ' title was not generally used then and, although few streets are shown, housing development had started.
This also clearly shows the two railway stations, shortly after the railway opened.
One at 'Beechburn' and the other at 'Howden' prior to their amalgamation.
Thereafter forming BEECHBURN for HOWDEN-le-WEAR as the village station name.