This is The North East | CommuniGate | Sir William Turners Almshouses Feedback
This is The North East -  CommuniGate
Content * * *
Sir William Turner's Almshouses

Renovation and Redevelopment

Sir William Turner and his Almshouses

Classics at Kirkleatham

Applying to live at Kirkleatham Almshouses

Latest News

Location of Sir William Turner's Almshouses

Regular Worship in the Chapel

Visits and Talks

Vacancy at almshouses

The Perfect Venue

Contact Information for Sir William Turners Hospital

Mail Form


The Turner Family

William Turner was born at Guisborough in 1615. In 1623 his father bought the Kirkleatham Estate and built Kirkleatham Hall. William moved to London as a young man where he made his fortune, wholesaling fabrics as a merchant tailor.

He was knighted by Charles II in recognition of his many public works. In 1668, two years after the Great Fire of London, Sir William was the City's Lord Mayor. His management ability was highly praised as he worked with Wren the architect to rebuild the city. A decade later, Sir William built his Almshouses at Kirkleatham.

On his death in 1693 aged 77, Sir William left 3000 to build a free school at Kirkleatham. In 1709, Cholmley Turner, his great-nephew, built the school opposite the almshouses at Kirkleatham. The building now houses the Kirkleatham Hall Museum.

Sir William Turner, Lord Mayor
by Mary Beales, 1669
Courtesy of King Edward's School, Witley

The school was relocated in 1868 to a new building on Coatham Road in Redcar and was known variously as Sir William Turner's School or Coatham Grammar School. In the 1960s it moved to another new building on Corporation Road and with the advent of 'comprehensive' schools, it relocated to become Sir William Turner's Sixth Form College on Redcar Lane. At the end of the 20th century it was absorbed into Redcar & Cleveland College.

In 1742, Sir William's nephew Cholmley Turner remodelled the Almshouses and enhanced the beautiful Chapel at its centre. Other than the introduction of electric lighting and heating and the replacement of the 'Chandos' chandelier with one of a more appropriate design, the chapel remains unchanged and true to its 1740s design.


The Almspeople

For over 330 years the Hospital has provided sheltered housing for people in their retirement. Originally they were mainly estate workers who had become too old to take care of themselves.

Today, the thirty residents are mainly active people who have moved to Kirkleatham from all parts of Great Britain.

For more than two and a half centuries, ending in the 1940s, free schooling and accommodation were provided for ten boys and ten girls from the age of nine to sixteen. For many years, the girls trained for domestic service and the boys the navy.
Residents sort the bric-a-brac at
the annual Garden Party.

Today, the almshouses are offered to 'people with identifiable needs'. Need is more likely to be a social than a financial need. An elderly person who is constantly harassed on a housing estate or a person living in isolation may have identifiable needs.

For information about living at Sir William Turner's Almshouses, click on the side-bar to read the page APPLYING TO LIVE AT KIRKLEATHAM or address enquiries to The Clerk to the Trustees,
1 Sir William Turner's Court, Kirkleatham, Redcar TS10 1AF
Tel. 01642 482828 or use the e-mail form on this website.


The Almshouses

The word Hospital means a place offering hospitality. This was never a medical institution and there are no medically trained staff. Each almshouse is a small self-contained flat with a living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom and enjoys the support of daily contact with the Warden and a 24 hour emergency warden service.

Most are designed for single occupants but several are suitable for couples and some have two bedrooms. There is a Community Room for social activities, small allotment gardens for active residents, extensive gardens and several garages.
The living room of one of the
first floor properties.

There is a small twin-bedded hotel type suite where visiting relatives may stay at a nominal cost.


The 17th century Chapel

The Chapel is virtually unaltered since it was re-modelled in 1742. It contains Sir William's Death Mask and other interesting artefacts. Family Communion is celebrated every Wednesday morning at 9.30 a.m. and Evening Prayer every Sunday at 6.00 p.m. Regular piano recitals and chamber music concerts are held at roughly six weekly intervals from September to June. For details of current concerts, click on Classics at Kirkleatham on the side bar menu or below.

The Chapel is open to organised groups by appointment.


The Community Room

A party night in the Community Room

The Residents' Common Room also serves as a Community Room. Built at a cost of 85,000 it was opened in 2001, on the 325th anniversary of the founding of the Almshouses.

Seating Capacities:
Reception (minimal seating) 60
Theatre style - 40
Work groups - 24
Board Room - 12

There is a fully equipped kitchen adjacent to the Common Room, making it an ideal facility for small conferences, 'quiet days', training sessions and meetings.

It is wheel-chair friendly with level access into and throughout the building and with a properly equipped accessible toilet. There is ample parking in the adjacent Almshouse Gardens and the main courtyard.

Address enquiries to The Clerk to the Trustees, 1 Sir William Turner's Court, Kirkleatham, Redcar TS10 1AF, Tel. 01642 482828 or use the MAIL FORM below or on the side-bar menu.

Email Email page
Feedback Feedback
Home Home

Sir William Turner's Almshouses |Renovation and Redevelopment |Sir William Turner and his Almshouses |Classics at Kirkleatham |Applying to live at Kirkleatham Almshouses |Latest News |Location of Sir William Turner's Almshouses |Regular Worship in the Chapel |Visits and Talks |Vacancy at almshouses |The Perfect Venue |Contact Information for Sir William Turners Hospital |Mail Form