The 500 Group - for Teesside Bus Enthusiasts
Our preserved buses
The years activities 2010 - 2012
Annual Teesside Running Day
500 Group publications
A brief history of Middlesbrough Corporation No.99
The Teesside Fleetlines
Teessides transport history
Local bus news
Bus industry news
Picture Gallery - Introduction
Picture Gallery - Trams
Picture Gallery - T.R.T.B.
Picture Gallery - Middlesbrough
Picture Gallery - Stockton
Picture Gallery - Teesside Municipal Transport
Picture Gallery - Cleveland Transit
Picture Gallery - Cleveland Transit Ltd
Picture Gallery - Stagecoach
Gallery - Independant operators on Teesside
Stagecoach - North East, Fleet Lists
Archived pages - The years activities - 2002 2005
Archived pages - Local news
What's coming up soon
Our News Letter
Join our Group
Links for The 500 Group
Are you interested in buses
The first steam trams
|In the late nineteenth century a tramway was operated in the Stockton area. It used steam tram engines, four wheeled vehicles constructed in such a manner that they could draw trailer cars in either direction. Merryweather were the builders and the Starbuck Co constructed the trailer cars. They were four wheeled, open topped double deck vehicles with’ knifeboard seating’ The system operated to a four-foot gauge from Bridge Road to Norton Green.
The system changed hands several times in its existence, from 1881 till its closure and replacement by the new Imperial system in 1898
Trailer car 7 and an unidentified loco pass along Stockton High Street about 1890
The Electric Tramway - opening day
| 1898 - The opening of the electric tramway
This scene is of Imperial Tramways, Milnes, double-deck bogie tramcar No. 30, passing over the North Eastern Railway Bridge at Thornaby.
The photograph was taken on 16th July 1898; Thornaby Town Hall can be seen in the background. The opening attracted huge crowds all along the route during the course of the day, all eager to see what was then the most advanced system in the country.
It was of course, a total transport revolution, making reliable and regular transport available to working people in area between Norton Green and North Ormesby in areas not covered by the railway system.
It changed their lives completely, making job mobility and commercial activity possible.
Photograph from the 500 Group collection.
A busy day in Stockton High Street
|The tramway system was extremely popular and people made full use of it.
The broad High Stret in Stockton had plenty of room for the twin tram tracks. They ran up the Eastern side of the street. Carters and stall holders used the Western side, much the same way as it is today, with bus traffic replacing the Trams'
A crowded High Street with people standing watching the passing tram. It is Tram No. 7 heads towards Thornaby The picture was probably taken on opening day as there appears to be dignataries on board.
The trams saw service for 33 years
|The three images below show scenes from the Imperial Tramways system on Teesside over the first part of the 20th Century
The scene below shows a scene about 1910 in Stockton High Street, no vehicular traffic is seen,the Parish Church, reputedly Wrenn designed, is the background and a carter follows his horse.
Pre First World War
|Another scene in the High Street, an south bound tram passes a northbound No. 38 circa 1907
Horsedrawn cabs wait at the rank for their passengers to go to the outer reaches of the town. The current "rank" is in the centre of the High Street opposite this site.
The picture can be dated because the trams carry advertising boards and but not destination indicators. Advertising came in circa 1905 and destination indicators around 1907
A Middlesbrough scene
|Another scene, this time in Middlesbrough's Corporation Road. The town Hall in in the background, the fine chapel on the right is where British Home Stores now stands
Tram 41 clatters its way towards Stockton its driver carefully looking out for pedestians in Edwardian dress (circa 1912)