According to early records THORNABY FIRE BRIGADE was originally known as the South Stockton Fire Brigade whose Fire Station was in Chapel Street, where a horse drawn manual pump was kept. The horses, when required, were supplied by a nearby livery stable.
Existing records dating back to the late 1870’s reveal that in 1879 Mr. Moore, the Fire Brigade Captain, resigned and was succeeded by a Mr. R. Hutton. During that year, the Brigade attended seven fires and retaining fees were first paid – 2.s. 6d. per month, per man.
The first jumping sheet was purchased. Captain J.R. Tranter succeeded Captain Hutton on 30th April 1883, and this worthy man remained in office until June 1913 seeing, during his service, 110 fires of varying degrees, together with the transition from the manual fire engine to a steam engine.
In October 1892, Thornaby on Tees became a Municipal Borough. The fire engine and hose reel were thoroughly repainted and the name altered from South Stockton to Thornaby for a total cost of 12 shillings.
The Corporation very soon had a fine new Fire Station in George Street. A 45’ escape was purchased, complete with canvas chute. The men had to descent head first to prevent steel shod boots tearing the canvas and the ladies feet first.
In 1913, Captain Hall took charge of Thornaby and reported that the Brigade required a motor tender, as the wheels of the steamer were constantly in need of repair and the hose reel was 35 years old.
A new motor engine was purchased and put into commission in October 1919.
Between the wars, the retained personnel at Thornaby Station continued to play their full part in the fire protection of the Industrial Municipal Borough and the Brigade became part of the No. 2 area when the Fire Service was nationalised in 1941.
In 1948, the Fire Station came under the control of North Riding of Yorkshire County Fire Brigade and Teesside County Borough Fire Brigade in 1968.
During the period 1960 – 1972, the station became under the command of Station Officer J.R. Speight.
In 1972, the George Street Station, due to changing needs of the Service, became a Part-time/Whole-time station.
Then, in 1974, when the new Fire Station was built, the retained personnel where phased out and the Thornaby Fire Station became a Whole-time Station within Cleveland County Fire Brigade.
In April 1996, local government reorganised deemed that, what was known as Cleveland County became four unitary authorities. Thornaby Fire Station is within the boundaries of Stockton District Council but is administered by Cleveland Fire Authority, which comprises of elected members from the four unitary authorities now known as Stockton District Council, Hartlepool District Council, Middlesbrough District Council and Redcar and Cleveland District Council.
The present Thornaby Fire Station has a total of 51 fire-fighting personnel and is managed by Assistant Divisional Officer Peter Dix.