Welcome Page To Our Readers
Why is Oxford behind the times?
Euro News from our local Labour MEP's
European Business Studies Links
Dr Caroline Lucas Green Member of the European Parliament
Oxford Mail reports on Headington Forum site
The Crisis in Farming. Is there one?
Oxfordshire and European Transport Issues
Headington Forum review of the year 2000
Assessment of the year 2000
The year ahead in 2001
ENVIRONMENT, FRIEND OR FOE ?
WTO rules are threat to EU soverienty
The Destruction of Headington Hill Park
AUTUMN 2000 EDITION
European News and Policy
Planning Application Notices
Oxfordshire County Labour Party Press Releases and News
Rail News Update
Oxford United Redevelopment Proposals/News
Headington Business Association
Oxfordshire County Council - European News Update Press Release
Thames Valley Forum
THAMES VALLEY EUROPEAN FORUM
Headington Community Development Group
Direct2LG 129 - 05/02/01
Could the Hobbit be moving in?
Planning an advertising campaign
Letters to the Editor
Linda’s Tibetan Challenge for MENCAP
The Headington Community Development Group:
Planning authority uses magic to determine planning decision
Headington Forum proposed Business Person of the Year Award
Headington's Local Planning Events
Magazine Details - Information for contributions & Readershi
Oxford's Headington Community Development Group:
Headington Library, Bury Knowle Park, Headington, Oxford
Quote's from the press and media
NEWS FROM AUSTRALIA
Bury Knowle Health Centre
See what's on at the Oxford Playhouse
NATWEST STATEMENT – Foot & Mouth Outbreak
News of from Labour Party members in Oxfordshire
How to save energy at home and work.
Headington Business Special
The Future of the Manor Ground:survey of local residents
FERGUS DOYLE - WEST OF JAVA
TAKING PRIDE IN OXFORD LABOUR'S MANIFESTO FOR CHANGE
Headington Community Development Group Meeting 23 January 2002
Election Special Ward details 2002
Sport and Fitness news
CREATING A PERSONAL WEBPAGE
Links for Headington Forum
Headington Forum’s assessment of the past year
Not much has happened in Headington this year it would appear mostly a lot of hot air, a few signs and benches facing the traffic in Headington’s shopping district. The Oxford Transport Strategy appears to have made the traffic in the area busier than ever.
Headington writers in the year 2000 were rarely out of the news:
· The news that the Science Fiction Writers of America had elected local writer Brian Aldiss a Grand Master. See web page http://www.brianwaldiss.com
· Peter Hitchens a local writer and journalist for The Mai on Sunday published two books in year 2000: The Abolition of Britain and Monday Morning Blues this year. See web page: http://www.express.co.uk/
· Local mystery crime detective writer and journalist Maureen O'Connor who writes under the pen name of Patricia Hall published her latest books two books The Italian Girl and Skeleton at the Feast in year 2000. See web page for details: http://www.femaledetective.com/authors/hall.html
·The fate of Headington's schools was sealed in local schools' reorganization.
·Oxford Brookes the top new university for the third year running. http://www.brookes.ac.uk/
.Unions plan for next round of pay negotiations
3.Local Business News
· Old Headington’s Bell pub closes and the New Headington’s Butcher's Arms was voted Oxford City Pub of the Year.
· New Enterprises opened in Headington included the prestigious Iron Bed Company, a new café and a restaurant.
· The Oxford United saga continued with its failure to relocate away from Headington, (See Web page: http://www.Headington.org.uk for further infor-mation).
· The private sector succeeded unlike the Council to provide desperately needed and profitable leisure facilities for some of Headington residents. (Maybe it's a joke, but it's true... What else have we got?).
Development activity begins to gather pace in Headington, both in the private and public sectors, ranging from the expansion of education and hospital units to new housing and commercial space:
· Turret House, London Road development of luxury apartments and shops completed in September http://www.chancellors.co.uk/
· Oxford and Swindon Co-op began preliminary studies to redevelop the Old BP petrol station site as a customer car park, with seating and a tourist infor-mation point. http://www.osg-co-op.co.uk/
· Preliminary development activity around Headington Retail Zone reached new heights, with feasibility studies and negotiations with various interests at various stages of development, as demonstrated by Bellway Homes renewed interest in redeveloping the Oxford United site.
5.Local Transport News
· Headington starts to benefit from the long promised improvements to its bus services, including direct links to Summertown and Pear Tree Park and Ride due in part to help from Oxford Brookes University and the John Radcliffe Hospitals Green commuter Plans.
6. Historic News
It is thought Ethel red’s Palace has been discovered in Headington. (See web page http://users.ox.ac.uk/~uzdh0149/ethelred.html for details)
Other wise it was only boring little things, like at Headington at last joining the green-box recycling scheme, new little shops, etc.
7.Local Crime News
The consensus is that Thames Valley Police has done an excellent job despite hav-ing various recruitment and resources problems caused principally by the high cost of living in this area.
· In January a local 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had pleaded guilty at Oxford Youth Court to unlawful wounding of a teen-age boy.
· On Boxing Day saw raiders armed with shot guns hold up the Tote bookmakers in Cinnaminta Road, Headington at 4.15 pm on Boxing Day. Police reported, that the robbers produced a gun and demanded cash from staff before escaping with a small amount of cash. Police are asking any witnesses to contact the crime desk on 01865-266333.
This page has been visited times.