Update on redevelopment news and plans in Headington
Headington Community Development Group
Minutes of the meeting held 19h00 23rd January 2002, Headington Hill Hall
Present: Andrew Brown, Jill Cummings, Kat Luddeke, Mary Hope, Tony Joyce, Bob Clarke, Arthur Treherne, Sophie Lancaster, George Kershaw, Jeanne Bliss, Angela Cristofoli.
Apologies: Laurie Price, Nic Newman
1. Minutes from last meeting
Approved. Thanks to Arthur Treherne for taking them.
Thornhill park and ride
Tony Joyce has had a reply from the County Council to his letter about the Thornhill park and ride, agreeing with the points he made, and being generally supportive. George Kershaw indicated that it was the aim of the City Council to sell off the management of the park and rides, and in the long term to turn them into convenient bus hubs. Tony will follow up, and will ask to see the plans. Apparently the engineers have all been to Cambridge to see what they have done there.
Kat Luddeke gave an update on the re-development plans for the Co-op. They have an agreement in principle with the leaseholder for the garage forecourt, but not yet signed. She will ask the Store Manager to come to the next HCDG meeting (27/2) to make a presentation on the plans. Sophie Lancaster and Kat will work together on inviting other neighbours who might be interested in the presentation. If the Store Manager is agreeable, then we might also invite the media.
2. Charity Constitution Update.
Tony Joyce has examples, submitted by various people. Thank you. He will bring a working draft, and relevant legal advice, to the next meeting. (27th February 2002)
3. Headington Christmas Lights and Funday
Jill Cummings indicated that it looks likely that we will break even on the 2001 event, though all the bills and contributions have not yet been finalised. Largely thanks to good sales in shops and Mary Hope doing an excellent job selling tickets.
Mr Wilson's (bah! Humbug!) letter appears to have been a positive thing in the end, as it made people talk about the Christmas lights, and gave Headington people a sense of ownership.
Only problems were with the Save the Pound people, who defaced the noticeboards with their yellow stickers - which gave the impression that the Business Association supported the Save the Pound movement.
We need to start early with preparation for the event i.e. book the entertainment.
Finances dependent on constitution change
North East Area Committee Support - indications that there will be a contribution of between £1,000 to £5,000 from the devolved budget.
Allocation of responsibility and further discussion at the next meeting.
Stephanie will be pleased to organise the publicity for 2002.
Date for this year’s funday is 1st December 2002
There may be funds from various sources, including through the City Council, possibly for a large event in the Park (?Bury Knowle). Information packs for events can be found at www.goldenjubilee.gov.uk
There is a meeting being held at Headington Parish Hall on Sunday 24th Feb at 15h30, led by a Committee which has been set up by St Andrew's Church. They appear to be planning open air afternoon tea, roundabout, street dancers, in the Osler Road area. Jill Cummings will attend the meeting, and all other HCDG members are encouraged to join her.
The Residents' Associations will try to find out what other events are planned at their co-ordinators' meeting on 6th Feb.
HCDG will suggest that it will collate information on what events are planned, so that people can plan around other events, to avoid clashes. Arthur Treherne will collate, display on the noticeboards and on the web.
HCDG may also be able to facilitate contacts, establish communication between events.
4. General Update
George Kershaw said that a report will be going to Oxfordshire County Council's Executive Board in March recommending the overall strategy and the way forward towards implementing aspects of it. The County Council will be encouraged to re-consult local people about the consultation results. Peter Mann and Roger Williams have to get this process started.
Tony Joyce said that he is in touch with Kassam's architects about options. There are discussions about a residential only development. The important thing from Tony's point of view is a link road to the JR site (to avoid problems with use of Osler Road). Ultimately, it will depend on what is most profitable for Kassam.
Headington in Bloom
Bob Clarke has been attending the Oxford in Bloom meetings. Mike Gass from the City Council will attempt to put up more floral baskets, and if they are not too expensive, then Bob feels that there will be a good take up, perhaps Headington Girls School, Brookes, even individuals. The idea is that there would be a stream of hanging baskets from Bury Knowle to Headington Hill.
Sophie Lancaster said that she has finally managed to get Community Services, Probation and the Youth Offending Team in a meeting together, and they have sorted outstanding issues. Now have the go-ahead to continue. Telephone number to volunteer to help: Fran Humphries 247088.
Issue over whether materials remain - perhaps Roger the artist has them.
The final version will still be lacquered over by County Council when it is finished.
5. Any other business
Town Centre Health Check
Sophie Lancaster has been approached by Brookes to have students conduct a second Town Centre Health Check. This will be very useful, as it will enable comparisons to be made with the baseline data collected last year. Some elements of the report can be more focussed, fine tuned.
There is also an offer for a second report. Suggestions included: Business Plan; Leisure facilities usage study and proposals; Capacity Building to enable devolved local management to take place; Promotional Campaign to sell the area.
North East Area Committee
Brief presentation by Angela Cristofoli about the function of Local Area Committees. There are still things to be worked out, but some of the issues are to do with a misunderstanding about the function of the meetings. They are mostly City Council meetings held in public, not public meetings, and only a small section of the meeting is designed to encourage participation from the public. There are issues about what the public actually wants to discuss, and about issues concerning other Councils or organisations which are not within the City Council's remit. It will continue to evolve, and any comments about ways in which things could improve would be gratefully received by Angela.
Angela will continue to come to HCDG meetings as much as she can, and will encourage cooperation between NEAC and HCDG.
6. Next meeting to be held on Wednesday 27th February 2002
Thereafter the last Wednesday of each month.
Meeting closed at 20h45.