HOUSES IN CONSERVATION AREAS
THE ROOKERY -
No.3,4,5,6,8,9,10,11,12 - built after 1810 before 1877
No.1 Old Stone Court - formerly Batemans Shop, then Lyne's
No buildings on site in 1810.
Probably built c1855 Shop closed mid-1970s
No.3 Built after 1810 before 1877 Was bakehouse
Between wars converted into shoe repair workshop.
Britannia PH First mentioned 1863
No.9,11 Built after 1810 before 1877
No.15 Probably built c1880 Was shop until early 1950s
No.17 Old Manor Farm House built before 1810 date on gate ....
Old Barn - now converted into dwellings - date on beam 1695
No.33 to 41 Cottages Probably built early 1700s
Some modernisation after 1937
No.43 Bungalow 1930s?
No.45 Cranbrook - date stone 1809
No.49 St.Mary's Lodge Before 1810
No.51 Glenalua Before 1810
No.65 Old Priest's House Probably erected around 1220
for masons building the church. Used by priest until
c1445 when new vicarage was built. Became cottages
two of which have been demolished.
Almshouse date stone 1671
No.88,86,84,82 Built after 1810 and before 1877
No.78,76,74 date stone 1736
No.70,72 Wychwood & Cherwell Croft built mid-1800s
No.62,64 Built mid-1800s after John Allen's school was
No.60 Grove House First recorded tenant 1571 Listed Grade 11
No.56,54 Built before 1810
Old Barn do.
No.52 Old Bakehouse Built 1810
Bellengers Built in 1960s
No.18 Cottage was farmhouse
The Rectory Date unknown Passed to Exeter College 1566
Ruinous state c1520 Probably rebuilt 1578
when 13th./14th.century timbers were reused.
(Mrs.Stapleton records date stone 1578.)
Reduced in size early 1800s. Farmhouse for
Dovecote mentioned 1290/1
440 nest holes in 13 rows Walls 1.3m thick
Old Vicarage Probably built c1445 Delapidated in early
1800s & south end pulled down
Cottages between Old Vicarage & Webbs Way - built before 1810
Warsborough House - built before 1810
No.85 Home Close/The Closes - A house has stood on this site
since the 16th.century but the present house has
seen many alterations since it appeared on the
1810 Enclosure map. It was called `Cleveland'
before the turn of the century. From 1896 to 1900
it was a school. The flats at the front and sides
were built in the 1960s.
No.87 Hill Farm - Shown on the 1810 map
No.89 House - built in the late 1920s
No.91 Hill Cottage - built before 1810 - part of Hill farm
No.93 The Hill - built before 1810
No.95 Hill House - do.
No.101 Tower Hill - Although a large house now, was given as a
cottage in the 1810 Enclosure Award.
Cottages between Tower Hill and Baptist Church are shown on the
No.2 - date stone 1870. Was a Post Office until 1913. Also
been a sweet shop, library, draper's & tailor's.
No.4 - probably 1870s.
No.6 to 14 - probably late 17th. or early 18th.century. Sold in
1837 as `Five cottages and The Old Poor House' by the
Churchwardens and Overseers for œ425, the money being
paid to the new Guardians of the Poor towards the
erection of the Woodstock Workhouse. No.14 was the Poor
House. Before being the Poor House it was a school.
No.18 - The Old Dog - a public house until 1934 once known and
the Dog & Duck and in mediaeval times `The House of
Jesus' or `Jesus House' an inn probably run by monks
for travellers passing over Kidlington Green. Parts of
the present building thought to date from early
No.20 & 22 - Built after 1810 & before 1877
No.24 - Burgess Cottage Built after 1810 and before 1877
Ellesmere House - do.
No.32 - The Cottage - do.
No.36,38,40 - Thought to have been built in the 1840s/1850s.