The Newman Society is Oxford's oldest student society, arranging weekly speaker meetings with the aim of promoting a greater appreciation of Catholic faith, learning, and culture within the University. We are committed to working towards this goal in collaboration with the Catholic Chaplaincy and the Oxford University Catholic Society.
Founded as the Catholic Club in 1878, it was not until 1888 that the club was renamed the Newman Society as a tribute to Cardinal Newman, who had done a vast amount to advance the cause of catholicity at Oxford. Meetings originally took place at the parish church of St Aloysius Gonzaga, and when the Catholic Chaplaincy to the University was established in 1896 the society found a natural home there.
Today the society continues to perform the work for which it was originally founded, organising regular events and welcoming all who are interested in learning more about the Catholic faith.