Prince Maurice Barracks was built by the Devizes firm of WE Chivers in London Road, Devizes during 1939 and it was demolished in 1987. Initially it was occupied by the 207th Anti-Aircraft Training Regiment. Between 1943-1945 it housed the following United States Army units: 344 Engineer Regiment,
22 Armoured Field Artillery Battalion of the 4th Armoured Division,
141st General Hospital.
Development as an industrial estate commenced in 1999. The developers - Hannick Homes of Swindon and Gaiger Bros. of Devizes funded the provision of the commemorative stone on land at the entrance to the estate with Latchways, the occupier of the position agreeing to the siting.
On 6 June 1999 the stone was unveiled by the Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire, Lt.Gen. Sir Maurice Johnston, KCB, OBE. Guests included: officials of Wiltshire County Council, Kennet District Council, Devizes Town Council, Roundway Parish Council and Major John Pothin, US Army.
The memorial stands at OS 173/SU025635