Society Aims and Objectives
Alton Barnes Albermarle Crash Site Memorial
Prince Maurice Barracks, Devizes
Beech Knoll, Zeals
Alton Barnes Airfield Marker Stone 18 Sep 1999
Thomas Gray VC
Sgt J Tompkins - Provision of headstone
Wroughton - RAF Hospital
Wroughton Airfield Memorial
The Imber Incident
Links for Wiltshire Historical Military Society
Alton Barnes Airfield Memorial 18 Sep 1999
Alton Barnes was used by the RAF from 1935 to 1945 for flying training. After the war most of the buildings were removed and the land returned to farming. All that remains today is the original 'Link Trainer' building and an air-raid shelter.
WHMS decided to erect a memorial stone on the site to record its use and the names of five airmen who lost their lives in aircraft crashes there during training.
The memorial was funded by local donations and by the nephew of PltOff K Holmes DFC, RAF.
The stone was dedicated and unveiled in a ceremony on 18 September 1999, which was attended by the relative, former service personnel who had been stationed there and local residents.
The unveiling was carried out by GpCapt Mark Stevens, Head of Combat Aircraft at Boscombe Down, with the Padre from RAF Lyneham conducting the dedication. Unfortunately a Tiger Moth fly-past had to be cancelled due to weather conditions. Tiger Moth aircraft were used for initial training at Alton Barnes during WWII.
The memorial stone is positioned on the air-raid shelter which is alongside the road and 500 yards
north of the canal bridge at O.S. 173/SU104616
|It has recently been necessary to construct a post and rail fence around the air raid shelter on which stands the memorial to prevent damage by grazing sheep. It is intended to reinstate the earth work, kill off the weeds and re-seed. The memorial frequently receives visits from tourists to the area. It is hoped that in the future the owner of the remaining RAF building on the site, may grant WHMS permission to use it for display purposes.|