St Matthias & St George Parish Church
Ministry & Services
Facts & Items of Interest
Snippets From The Records
Items of Interest
|The church at harvest time, probably in the 1960s
1st February 1882
First Wednesday evensong held in Board schoolroom.
23rd February 1882
First meeting held regarding the proposed church.
31st May 1883
Foundation stone laid by Lady Georgina Vernon.
11th August 1884
Consecration of completed part of church.
18th August 1884
First Baptism at Astwood Bank.
15th March 1885
Sunday school opened with 49 children.
11th November 1889
Rev. Thomas Rooke died, aged 64.
20th May 1891
Room created out of stables adjoining the church, for Sunday School. Now parish hall.
Church listed in Crockfords as an Ecclesiastical District with a curate in charge.
24th April 1911
Nave building begun.
6th June 1911
Foundation stone laid.
22nd November 1911
Nave consecrated by Bishop Mylne (Rector of Alvechurch who was Bishop of Bombay (1876 - 1897).
22nd November 1914
New high altar dedicated and consecrated.
1st April 1919
Land between church and hall purchased to complete ownership of existing property.
20th May 1920
First Parish Council Meeting held - Rev. Verity in chair, C. Stiles elected vice-chairman.
19th December 1923
Licence to solemnise marriages granted.
12th October 1926
Parsonage house completed - PCC held in study.
4th July 1937
Dedication of British Legion Banner.
Rev. Downey donated offertory bags and St. George's flag.
Churchwarden staves in brass fleur-de-lis given, previously used in Bromsgrove Church
1st October 1948
District named Conventional District of Astwood Bank with Crabbs Cross with a curate in charge appointed by Bishop.
3rd December 1948
Church re-roofing completed.
1st October 1950
Astwood Bank and Crabbs Cross to become separate district -
20th Octomer 1950
Rev.Owen instituted as the first Vicar.
18th January 1960
Movable rail with kneeler attached for Lady chapel given.
29th April 1962
Dedication of Garden of Memory.
3rd November 1963
North side chapel door closed. Alcove with Book of Memory dedicated.
*The picture at the top is thought to be from around this time*
31st May 1965
New organ building completed. Dedicated by Rural Dean, Whit Sunday June 6th.
9th August 1970
Stained glass window, theme of the Eucharist, gift of Mr. George Walton, in memory of his mother placed in Lady Chapel. (First stained glass window in church). Dedicated by Bishop.
Chancel floor relaid.
1st April 1980
Crabbs Cross joins the Ridge Team. Astwood Bank on its own.
Centenary Celebration. All living clergy with connections to church at celebration service.
13th May 1985
East Window replaced by stained glass window in memory of Harry Draper. Designed by C. Sinclair.
26th April 1988
Font cover in oak - gift of Mr. D. Allinson - 50 yrs a chorister.
Bookstand and table in oak - In memory of Mr. F. Cardinal
Sound system installed
Copper baptismal bowl & gold plated shell - Mrs. V. Lees
Paschal Candlestick - gift of Mr. & Mrs. P. Lees
Tabernacle – In Memory of Keith Mole