Pubs and Beerhouses around Cookley
Public Houses around Cookley
There are now some six public houses in or around Cookley: these are The Red Lion, The Eagle and Spur, The Bulls Head and The Cookley Arms and The Rock Tavern and The Anchor in Caunsall but are often used by Cookley residents.Until 'The Wine and Beer House Act of 1869' there were as many as eleven 'Beerhouses' often known as 'Wobbleshops' in the Cookley area. These beerhouses were often converted front rooms which were only licensed to sell cider and beer. Some of the beerhouses that did not survive The George and Dragon, The Cookley Arms (in Alfred Place), The Beehive Inn, The Cricketer's Arms, The Tinmans Arms, Roseville cider house (all in Portway Place) and the Blue Ball at Caunsall.
There were also three other beerhouses in Austcliffe Lane and it appears that these did not posses names - but were referred to by locals as 'The Board'.